Year Round Veg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a possibly unrealistic vision of becoming more self-suffient and being able to feed my family with the vegetables that I grow in our own garden. With this in mind, I want to gear up for growing vegetables all year round. In the past, my efforts have been limited to the warmer months and just a few vegetables - potatoes, squash, beans, peas, tomatoes. I am looking at ways to ramp up my efforts including how I could get my garden to continue to be productive during the winter. It would be great tohear about other people's experiences and what and how you grow your veg in the winter as well as how much you are able to produce?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Growing vegetables year-round can be a challenging but rewarding endeavor, and it is definitely possible to achieve a high level of self-sufficiency with a well-planned garden. Here are some tips and ideas for growing vegetables in the winter:

1. Choose cold-hardy vegetables: Certain vegetables are better suited to cold temperatures and can tolerate frost and even snow. Examples of cold-hardy vegetables include kale, spinach, Brussels sprouts, carrots, beets, and leeks.

2. Consider using a greenhouse or high tunnel: Greenhouses and high tunnels can help extend the growing season by providing a warmer, protected environment for plants. In the winter, you can use a greenhouse or high tunnel to grow cold-hardy vegetables, as well as to start seedlings for the upcoming spring season.

3. Use row covers and cloches: Row covers and cloches can also help protect plants from cold temperatures and frost. You can make your own row covers using lightweight fabric or plastic, or you can purchase them online or from a garden center.

4. Plant at the right time: In order to have a productive winter garden, it's important to plant at the right time. You'll want to start your seeds or seedlings early enough so that they are established before the first frost, but not so early that they get too big and are damaged by the cold.

5. Use season-extending techniques: To further extend your growing season, you can use techniques like crop rotation, intercropping, and succession planting. These techniques can help you maximize your space and harvest throughout the winter.

6. Keep track of your harvests: Keeping a garden journal can help you keep track of what you're growing, how much you're harvesting, and what's working and what's not. This can help you make adjustments and improve your winter gardening year after year.

In terms of yield, the amount you are able to produce will depend on a variety of factors, including the size of your garden, the vegetables you choose to grow, and the techniques you use. However, with careful planning and attention to detail, it is possible to produce a significant amount of food from a winter garden.

For more info check this resource
Facebook Page:
Youtube Channel Link:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Nasir,
Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply, as you say, planning is probably key. I have had inconsistant results with vegetables in the past but perhaps if I take more time plannning for the year I will have more success. It will be interesting to document the process and to see what works and what doesn't and to keep track of exactly what I do manage to produce at the end of the year.

Really appreciate time you have taken to respond and for all of the tips you've given - I'll certainly take it all on board.

Ask a Question