Would You Ever Garden for a Living?

Reaction score
With the flubs and havoc that I run into I don't think I could make a good living off of gardening. I make too many mistakes and mess things up too much to depend upon gardening as a source of income.

Would you or do you garden for a living? What do you sell? Flowers, fruits, herbs, veggies, berries or a bit of it all?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With the flubs and havoc that I run into I don't think I could make a good living off of gardening. I make too many mistakes and mess things up too much to depend upon gardening as a source of income.

Would you or do you garden for a living? What do you sell? Flowers, fruits, herbs, veggies, berries or a bit of it all?
These days unless you have a really big vegetable garden you couldn't make a living. You cannot imagine the regulations involved. That's why I quit and started giving it away. And here is something else-------sometimes you can't even give it away because of government regulations. It depends on who you give it to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It sounds like a great and quite relaxing job, but I don't think it's something for me. Even though I do my best, I kill some of my plants. I drowned my favorite miniature roses:(
Not to mention that I have a great appetite and I eat all my vegetables!
I've never tried to sell anything.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
All though I don't think I could grow enough to make a living it is a thought I entertain often. I love to work in the garden, nurture the plants and see the results. I am very proud of myself when people remark on how beautiful my flowers are or my yard is so well groomed. I find gardening very relaxing and a closeness with nature that I love.

I also like to educate others on how plants and nature can be used to stay healthy without depending on the poisons that are pushed on us as being good for us. The native american and our grandparents did not run to the drug store for every thing they needed when there was sickness in their family they went to their garden.

Reaction score
I would totally garden for a living. I think I would be destined to grow and sell corn for a living, I feel that I would be a good Corn farmer regardless of my corn growing in the past. I could get a huge farm and grow large fields of corn and then sell them for profit. And there is only regulations on growing stuff in your backyard and selling the product if anyone finds out. You just gotta be sneaky.

Reaction score
I have a friend who is a full time gardener. His boss owns a huge mansion on a country estate. He really enjoyed gardening, but after spending a few years earning a living from it, I think he feels the fun has been taken out of it!

I think it's probably like many things that people enjoy as hobbies. Once they start depending on it as their main source of income, there becomes pressure attached to it. I think what he dislikes about his job though, is his boss. Perhaps being a self employed gardener would be different. But of course, that comes with its own set of hassles.

As much as I enjoy gardening, I wouldn't like to do it for a living.

Reaction score
No, I wouldn't want to do it 'consistently' for a living. Maybe off and on. My interests vary so I wouldn't want to be dependent on gardening for my livelihood when I am not in my 'gardening' phase.

Reaction score
That's a nice thought to entertain but i don't think i would generate enough cash to take care of my family and live comfortably as my demands are rather great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would garden for a living if I could get away with it. I would have a huge fruit and vegetable garden and sell the fresh bounty. It would be fun to work the land for a living, even if it would be a ton of hard work.

Reaction score
I like gardening and I have a lot of fun with those farming video games like Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life. But I don't think I could actually live in a rural area full time.
I like being in an urban area and having access to modern conveniences, so I wouldn't be able to grow crops and live the life of a gardener/farmer full time.

Ask a Question