Would roasted seaweed be good for plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I've always been pretty adventurous when it comes to trying new foods. I've always thought that if I don't give it a try first, I'll never know if I like it or not. The only two things I refuse to eat, and I would actually be very mad if somebody fed it to me without my knowledge, are dolphin and horse meat.

Yesterday I was at the store, and on the chips isle I saw a package of roasted seaweed with spicy red pepper. I had never had seaweed, but I know it's very healthy, so I decided to buy a $0.99 package. After all, if I didn't like them, I wouldn't lose a lot of money ;)

Well, it was the worst food experience I have ever had. The chips were very thin and brittle, so when I put one in my mouth it stuck to my tongue and the walls of my throat. The taste was horrible, and I gagged for a few minutes (I actually thought it was gonna make me throw up) until I could get rid of the stuck pieces and eat an olive to get rid of the awful taste.

I was gonna put the rest of the chips in the trash can but I suddenly thought it could be good for my plants. They're so thin I could even put them on top of the soil around the plant and they would dissolve with the water when I water the plants, but they have salt and I'm a little worried about it. So I guess my question is, do you guys think the salt content would damage the plants. The sodium content is 50 mg per serving, and there are two servings in the package.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've always been pretty adventurous when it comes to trying new foods. I've always thought that if I don't give it a try first, I'll never know if I like it or not. The only two things I refuse to eat, and I would actually be very mad if somebody fed it to me without my learning knowledge, are dolphin and horse meat.

Yesterday I was at the store, and on the chips isle I saw a package of roasted seaweed with spicy red pepper. I had never had seaweed, but I know it's very healthy, so I decided to buy a $0.99 package. After all, if I didn't like them, I wouldn't lose a lot of money ;)

Well, it was the worst food experience I have ever had. The chips were very thin and brittle, so when I put one in my mouth it stuck to my tongue and the walls of my throat. The taste was horrible, and I gagged for a few minutes (I actually thought it was gonna make me throw up) until I could get rid of the stuck pieces and eat an olive to get rid of the awful taste.

I was gonna put the rest of the chips in the trash can but I suddenly thought it could be good for my plants. They're so thin I could even put them on top of the soil around the plant and they would dissolve with the water when I water the plants, but they have salt and I'm a little worried about it. So I guess my question is, do you guys think the salt content would damage the plants. The sodium content is 50 mg per serving, and there are two servings in the package.
Any salt is too much salt and if there are words that you can't pronounce where it says ingredients then it sure isn't good, for you are the plants. Chalk it up to another learning experience

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh no, this is not a good news:( I bought seaweed too. I haven't tried it yet, because I want to cook some rice first and eat it with avocado and fresh cucumber. I hoped it will be yummy!:(

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Oh no, this is not a good news:( I bought seaweed too. I haven't tried it yet, because I want to cook some rice first and eat it with avocado and fresh cucumber. I hoped it will be yummy!:(
There's no harm in giving it a try. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hope I'll like it! It was quite expensive. When I moved out of my parents house, I became really thrifty, so I'll eat this seaweed even if I hate it!:cool::p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Non-salted seaweed sheets was what my mom used to get. I love the stuff, so does my boyfriend. We eat it like candy. You run it quickly over the stove to "roast" it and rub sesame oil and sprinkle salt on it. You can eat it alone or with other stuff. Nummm nummmm nummmmmm.........

I heard seaweed is good for gardens. It has to be natural raw seaweed though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
How exactly do you roast it, Kevinkimers? My cooking skills aren't very impressive, so I prefer to ask before I try to do it by myself:) Do all seaweed sheets need to be roasted? Or maybe I can eat them raw? I bought rice and cucumbers and I'll try to make sushi without fish today:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You can eat them raw. If you want them roasted you just take the sheet and rake it over a hot burner very quickly (1 or 2 seconds) on both sides. Done... nothing to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Generally there's different levels of roasted seaweed and types. Basically different seaweeds are prepared differently for a reason because of taste and texture and Asian cooking has perfected the combination uses of seaweeds in the food.

The Red/Black Seaweed that you eat with sushi tends to be very chewy and basically unflavored. It's the type of seaweed you eat with rice and other sides like chili paste and veggies. Since it holds up better, it's the reason why it's used to hold together sushi.

The best kind of seaweed to eat is the green seaweed and the type most commonly used in general cooking. Preferably the roasted version has sesame oil and seasoned with sea salt and toasted sesame seeds for a nice savory/salty flavor. It's brittle and does stick a bit but it's a really good flavor. If you want to give it a shot again, try eating little bits of it before shoving the entire thing in your mouth to get used to it. Big strips of single green seaweed is usually candied and tastes pretty good. The single large strips of green seaweed is also used in miso soup and seaweed soup as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You can eat them raw. If you want them roasted you just take the sheet and rake it over a hot burner very quickly (1 or 2 seconds) on both sides. Done... nothing to it.
Thank you for answering my question. This sounds so easy:) I'll definitely try to roast at least one sheet. I haven't eaten my seaweed yet, because I was cooking vegetable soup yesterday. It took me a whole evening to do it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Love Seaweed :)

If you've got the nori sheets, put them in a little bit of hot water, stir in some Oats and Tamari/soy sauce and fry it up in patties :):):)

Ask a Question