Worried about growing in plastic containers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone else worry about growing the plants we will eat in plastic containers? The are put in the sun and break down fast, is this leaching into our food supply? If so it can't possibly be good for us to eat. Has anyone heard of any testing done to see if harmful chemicals show up in the plants we are eating? I would love to know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does anyone else worry about growing the plants we will eat in plastic containers? The are put in the sun and break down fast, is this leaching into our food supply? If so it can't possibly be good for us to eat. Has anyone heard of any testing done to see if harmful chemicals show up in the plants we are eating? I would love to know.
Good question. As far as I know the only way for plastics to be harmful is for it to be heated with food in it. Like in a microwave. I do know that plastic utensils have a government required symbol and number signifying whether it is food grade or not, but I don't know what they are. If they were really testing for harmful chemicals we ingest there wouldn't be any fresh produce at the grocery store and Monsanto would be out of business. Just think of all the chemical herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers we are forced to consume and all of it derived from oil in some way. Somehow I don't think we are designed to eat oil but maybe that is just me.

Reaction score
I don't think chemicals in the food would be a problem, but you might run into issues with the roots getting too hot. Clay pots, if you can afford them, are a much better option for keeping the roots of the plant happy and cool in the hot summer. They are breathable, so the plant will require a bit more water than if it was in plastic, but it can make a big difference for some plants to not have their roots baking.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good question. As far as I know the only way for plastics to be harmful is for it to be heated with food in it. Like in a microwave. I do know that plastic utensils have a government required symbol and number signifying whether it is food grade or not, but I don't know what they are. If they were really testing for harmful chemicals we ingest there wouldn't be any fresh produce at the grocery store and Monsanto would be out of business. Just think of all the chemical herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers we are forced to consume and all of it derived from oil in some way. Somehow I don't think we are designed to eat oil but maybe that is just me.
What made me think about it was the sun damage that occurred to the black pot. It's being heated by the sun all day every day and it got me thinking. I do think I will invest in some clay pots because now that it is in my mind I don't know if I will enjoy the fruits of my labor as much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What made me think about it was the sun damage that occurred to the black pot. It's being heated by the sun all day every day and it got me thinking. I do think I will invest in some clay pots because now that it is in my mind I don't know if I will enjoy the fruits of my labor as much!
I really don't think a plant would be able to uptake any chemical or gas that might possibly come from a plastic pot, it just can't get hot enough and if it did the plant would burn up. What gets plastic is the UV light

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Think about where the clay pots are coming from--I have purchased pots from Thailand, Mexico, and China. I grow flowers on the patio in them, but for edibles I actually prefer plastic pots for those few edible plants I can't put directly in the ground. The plastic pots can be sterilized for future use, and they are lighter weight, which counts for some of us:). Also in Texas watering pots is really, really necessary, and if I can water a plastic pot once a day rather than twice for a clay pot, that not only saves me time, but it saves precious water.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not really a problem, the plants won't absorb much from a plastic pot.

Different thing altogether if you were going to store food in non food grade polythene though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That is a good question, I never thought about that. I would think it would be fairly safe, from my understanding they are made of a different type of plastic then the ones they use for food and water. It is suppose to be made of a lot more durable then your typical plastic so it should be ok.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I never thought about it. Now, it worries me a little too. Unfortunately, harmful chemicals are everywhere nowadays and there is no way to avoid them:( I wish more people cared about the environment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use plastic containers for seedlings and very young plants, but I transplant them as soon as they are big enough to grow on their own successfully. I keep the containers in shade most of the day and only set them out in the sun at early dawn and late afternoon.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Use small terracotta pots or fertil pots for seed starting. Use terracotta or wood plant boxes for more mature plants.

Leave the plastic pots to those who love to dump miraclegro on the store-bought plants they go out and purchase every season.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have ginger on the ground and we also have some planted in a plastic pot. Since the ginger in the plastic pot is very prolific, that's where we usually get the ginger for our kitchen use. I don't see any problem with the plastic, it's not toxic I guess. Our small star fruit that is fruiting right now is planted in a rubber big pot. So that's out of the question.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I also wouldn't worry too much about using plastic pots. They are essentially made for that. I also prefer cermanic or clay pots of given the option. However they are more costly and so much heavier.
Overall I'd say you are okay using what plastic pots you have.
The only thing I do recommend is taking removing the plastic base that typically comes with plants or herbs when you buy them.

Ask a Question