Worms in the soil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Yesterday I dug up a tree (pre-bonsai) which I had growing in a pot buried in the garden. While I was repotting the tree and trimming the roots, a couple of worms fell out of the soil.

Can anyone tell me what they are and whether they will harm my tree if there are any left in the soil? Also, is there any way I can get rid of them without removing the tree from its pot again? I don't want to put it through any more trauma right now.

IMG_0433.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Just looks like a grub worm to me. http://fortworthtexas.gov/water/info/default.aspx?id=6034

Are there lots of them or just the one? If I were you I would just put the soil from the pot onto some newspaper and check through it with a rake. Unless you have an infestation your probably don't have to do anything - just don't put it back in the pot with the soil/plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I noticed two, which I removed. This one seemed to be dead, but I think the other one was alive. I've already repotted the tree with some of the same soil and some fresh soil. I don't know whether there were more of these guys in it or not. The pot then stood in a basin of water for at least half an hour, so with a bit of luck any remaining worms will have drowned.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If the tree is an ornamental I would use a systemic insecticide. That way you don't have to worry about disturbing the roots, or having grubs eat the roots. When I have plants that summer outside and come in for the winter I find this is the best way to keep my plants healthy and not introduce critters into my house plants. Hope you were successful in taking care of the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Thanks Jewell. I don't usually like to use poisons, but in this case it's probably the best option. I was just wondering whether it's safe to use the insecticide right now when the roots have just been pruned heavily, or whether I should allow the tree a bit of recovery time first.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would wait. Letting the roots heal and grow. I don't like using chemicals either, but for some of my bonsai I have. You can use soapy water to water the plant on your next watering day. Any grubs would probably be uncomfortable and moving possibly moving the soil. This could be a clue to determine whether you need more drastic actions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I would wait. Letting the roots heal and grow. I don't like using chemicals either, but for some of my bonsai I have. You can use soapy water to water the plant on your next watering day. Any grubs would probably be uncomfortable and moving possibly moving the soil. This could be a clue to determine whether you need more drastic actions.

I've used soapy water on the leaves before, but I didn't realise that it was okay to water with it. I'm really nervous to do anything unnecessary at the moment because the tree has already been through so much trauma due to the large amount of roots that were cut off.

The tree is a Japanese Maple (Acer Palmatum), which isn't sensitive to our cold weather under normal circumstances, but I'm currently protecting it from the sun and moving it indoors at night as it's still winter here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Gina, what was the outcome of your grub problem? Did you find anymore of them? Did you try the soapy water? Garden #3 in completely infested and I am looking for an organic method to get rid of them before they mature. Plan to check around in the morning for beneficial nematodes, but if soap works...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Gina, what was the outcome of your grub problem? Did you find anymore of them? Did you try the soapy water? Garden #3 in completely infested and I am looking for an organic method to get rid of them before they mature. Plan to check around in the morning for beneficial nematodes, but if soap works...

Chanell, I'd forgotten about this problem a long time ago. I don't think I ever did anything about it and the tree is perfectly healthy. I imagine there weren't any more grubs in the pot or that they drowned when I soaked the newly potted tree. Either that or the tree isn't bothered by them.

I wish I could be more help. Good luck getting rid of your grubs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chanell, I'd forgotten about this problem a long time ago. I don't think I ever did anything about it and the tree is perfectly healthy. I imagine there weren't any more grubs in the pot or that they drowned when I soaked the newly potted tree. Either that or the tree isn't bothered by them.

I wish I could be more help. Good luck getting rid of your grubs.

Your grub may have just been a random visitor, or it may just not have done any real damage. It takes an army of them to destroy a lawn, but a few are relatively harmless. I've decided to get beneficial nematodes in the spring as they take care of other unwanteds as well. If the ones there now emerge as adult beetles I just have to hope any new eggs or larvae get eradicated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Your grub may have just been a random visitor, or it may just not have done any real damage. It takes an army of them to destroy a lawn, but a few are relatively harmless. I've decided to get beneficial nematodes in the spring as they take care of other unwanteds as well. If the ones there now emerge as adult beetles I just have to hope any new eggs or larvae get eradicated.

Looking back it appears I had two of them, one dead. I was worried because the whole pot had been planted into the ground, but most of the soil was removed when I dug the tree up, so I'd probably have noticed if there were more of them. Thankfully they did no harm.

I don't know anything about beneficial nematodes, but I hope they will solve your problem. Please let us know how they work as I'm sure there are many people who will be interested to try them if they do the job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't know anything about beneficial nematodes, but I hope they will solve your problem. Please let us know how they work as I'm sure there are many people who will be interested to try them if they do the job.

They eat the eggs and larvae and sometimes the bugs of stuff you don't want in the garden, from fleas to beetles. You have to repeat the treatment multiple times to completely eradicate them, but I just want to reduce their number. The tree they feed on is going to be pruned shortly as well as another tree that's host to another bug. Here's some info on the nematodes:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/321796335849711017/

Ask a Question