Worms in the grass!

Reaction score
So my boyfriend and I went to the park to work out last night, and we heard this quiet squishy noise, it sounded like footsteps in the mud but all over the field. We took out our flashlight on our iphone and we pointed it in the grass. We saw all these worms in the mud! They were coming in and out of the top layer of the mud! The entire soccer field was making all the little noises. I don't think it's in every field, just certain types of field. But it was pretty cool and gross at the same time.

Reaction score
Worms are an interesting creature indeed! What type of weather was it when you guys encountered the worms? Over where I live, we only see worms after a long day of rain, or a day of humidity. Worms are so adorable! Especially when you see them poking their heads out of the mud. I'm not sure what type of fields they are most common in though.

Reaction score
We always find worms here on top of the ground after a good rain. It sounds like there were hundreds in the field where you were.

At night we have huge slugs outside the door and on the sidewalk. I think they like cat food because they get in the cat dish.

Reaction score
Worms are an interesting creature indeed! What type of weather was it when you guys encountered the worms? Over where I live, we only see worms after a long day of rain, or a day of humidity. Worms are so adorable! Especially when you see them poking their heads out of the mud. I'm not sure what type of fields they are most common in though.

I think earthworms are really cute. When I see one trying to cross the hot, dry sidewalk, I always pick it up and put it in the cool grass.
I hate slugs because they eat my herbs, but earthworms are cool in my book.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Sounds like you found a whole field of night crawlers . They are huge worms, and they come out at nite to mate, especially after it has rained. They are sensitive to footsteps, and even more so to flashlights, so they were probably ducking right back into the grind as fast as they could when they sensed your footsteps, and saw the flashlight shining on them.
Fishermen love night crawlers for bait, and we used to go out with flashlights late at nite to catch a bunch of them, if we were going fishing the next day.

Reaction score
We see a lot of worms after a good rain or when we emptied the pool at my Uncle's house. It was neat to watch them all start to come out as we were draining the pool - it almost reminded me of a horror movie the way they all started coming out of the ground, but I know they are harmless :) I see them all the time after a rain, but this was the first time I actually got to see them poking out to the surface!

I have never heard worms tho, maybe there is just too much other noise around here where I live to hear them. Pretty cool!

Reaction score
I think this would have initially freaked me out imagining all of those worms around me and under my feet, slowly making their way toward me...their next meal. After squealing my way out of there, I would have returned with buckets to catch and sell them at a bait shop!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion this sounds rather creepy, I'm so scared of worms. I wouldn't want to hear them making weird sounds during a romantic date, lol:p

Reaction score
Earthworms are probably the most important invertebrate in the garden. Without them there would be no soil as they spend their time cleaning it and making it fertile again. They tend to come to the surface when there has been moisture in the air. You might also see birds padding their feet on the ground, this is to attract the worms to the surface so they can eat them. In fact there are worm charming festivals all over the world that employ the same tactics. Here's a picture:

images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is interesting! It's the first time when I hear of worm charming festivals. Although it sounds like a funny event, I wouldn't want to participate in one. I still think that worms are one of the scariest creatures:confused: What happens to worms that are caught during a festiwal like this?

Reaction score
Maybe it's just a particularly British thing? The worms are released again after they have been counted and the trophy given out for the most collected. The record (in Britain at least) is 597 set by a lady in 2009 and all from a 3x3 metre plot of land!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
597?:eek: This is a lot of worms! It's a good thing that they're released, I was scared that maybe somebody tries to eat them or something, lol:p

Reaction score
This link explains it all. Bill Oddie, the presenter, is a naturalist in the UK and also used to be in a 70's sitcom called the Goodies. Anyway, here he talks about worm charming and also explains how birds charm worms out of the ground as well.

Reaction score
Worms are pretty neat creatures, but I always felt a little sad for them.
When I was younger I always thought the random holes in our lawns were from people poking holes to help the water penetrate deeper after a rain shower or something. It wasn't until later that I found out that the holes were from birds digging up the worms since they all come up to the surface when it rains.

Reaction score
I have only seen worms on rainy days. When we have a good rainy day, you can see all the earthworms come out. I try not to step on any of them and I try to grt people to watch out for them. It breaks my heart whenever I see a smushed earthworm.

Ask a Question