Worms in dry compost - what are these?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
I had removed my broken down compost from the pit in the ground and kept the lot in a bag. It had become very nearly completely dry. This morning when I wanted to use this to add to a pot, I found these wriggly worms - segmented and tough looking - in the handful I picked up. What could be these? The compost is from the kitchen wastes, mostly vegetable and fruit matter + dry leaves I add in between at irregular intervals - this is actually 5-6 months old I think, but I removed from the pit a month ago.

November-2016.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Look like Beetle grubs :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had removed my broken down compost from the pit in the ground and kept the lot in a bag. It had become very nearly completely dry. This morning when I wanted to use this to add to a pot, I found these wriggly worms - segmented and tough looking - in the handful I picked up. What could be these? The compost is from the kitchen wastes, mostly vegetable and fruit matter + dry leaves I add in between at irregular intervals - this is actually 5-6 months old I think, but I removed from the pit a month ago.

View attachment 15706
That is a destructive pest known as a wire worm. They eat roots and newly planted seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hello @Dinu :)...Yes,I agree to the wire worms. I found these in the soil some time ago and checked on the ID with "Flap". If you search "wire worms" on the internet you will be able to see and confirm or not confirm that this is what you have. Also you will find a wealth of information to let you know what to do about them. But don't wait too long because they are destructive.:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

View attachment 15706
You actually have 2 things in the first picture. The wire worm which is not beneficial and the larvae of a soldier fly which is

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Dinu...i put the wire worms in the same place that i put the slugs. I haven't seen any for a long time, but that doesn't mean that i don't have any. This may be the reason why your seeds did not come up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
I deliberately included what @Chuck says is a larva of a soldier fly. I was wondering about it as well. Thanks for this.
So that's why the corianders did not do well in two particular beds I had planted in June-July... but I had believed it was due to the earthworms doing the damage. I checked up soldier fly and found it is frequently seen in the garden and pond sipping water. Picture attached. I had not seen the wire worms often in the beds or compost. Now I'll be alert. What would they grow up to?

DSCF4694.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:LOL:Cool @zigs...how did you do that? or is it a professional magic trick secret? or does everyone already know how except me? (y)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's bit hard to show coding without it actually doing the thing you want it to, but i'll try in another thread :)

Ask a Question