Wood identification

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I wasn't sure where to post this. Can anyone identify the wood that this table leg is made from please?

received_365725584155383.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Looks like it. Have you submerged it in water to weigh its specific gravity and see if it matches that 12% they gave? Oak is very dense compared to many woods.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not oak unless it was filled. Hard to tell a finished part.
If it is full/straight sawn the grain is very dense and close on white oak and will sand to almost a mirror finish when sanded on a lathe. This particular piece has little or no figure in the grain so it just about has to be straight sawn. If this piece was not made in a factory it probably was not filled but a factory usually fills to avoid any imperfections. Also a factory piece and a custom piece will have some type of finish. If an old piece some type of clear varnish, lacquer or shellac and a factory piece a polyurethane or polyverithane all of which will fill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like it. Have you submerged it in water to weigh its specific gravity and see if it matches that 12% they gave? Oak is very dense compared to many woods.

No, this is my son's table and he lives in your homeland of America. :) He bought it recently to restore and I doubt very much he would have thought about water submergence.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Looks like oak to me. Especially given that it is over here, and the style is familiar. A wood conditioner before refinishing is a wise path. Here is a favorite book on the subject.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
A little closer view of the table top enabling us to see the grain would be a big help

A wood conditioner before refinishing is a wise path.

Ah! I have a problem here. I thought the table was going to be restored to it's former lovely natural state. But no, my daughter-in-law has painted it! :jawdrop: I have to say I'm disappointed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Not uncommon but a old style stain or other will make the common more uncommon. The book is worth a read. It is often the top is stained natural and the bottom painted white.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ah! I have a problem here. I thought the table was going to be restored to it's former lovely natural state. But no, my daughter-in-law has painted it! :jawdrop: I have to say I'm disappointed.
Have your son look on the underside of the table top and see if there are any letters or numbers. Letters usually means and individual made the piece and numbers mean a factory made it. Nothing means nothing. No one thought enough of the piece to sign it or catalog it, so if nothing is there you haven't lost anything. It looks like a fairly modern piece probably from the 50's or 60's.

Ask a Question