Wood Cutting Tool

Reaction score
Country
United States
It depends on the size of the wood and the amount of wood needing to be cut. I used to carry a hand bow saw in my truck behind the seat, and you would be surprised how much wood I cut with it. I have a couple of chain saws for the big trees, but everything else I just used the hand saw. You have to have a pair of loppers too because you will need that for the limbs that are thumb size. Always use eyewear to protect your eyes from getting saw dust or injuries in them and use gloves,like Chuck said the other day. Very important! Post a photo to get the best help.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
There are no nice stories about chainsaws -- why not get a professional who will have his own equipment and know exactly how to use it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
In my lawn I use a 58 volt battery saw. The chain is thin, the one called a picco, and is normally found on small trimming saws like my stihl polesaw. The thin chains come on blades up to 16-18 inches. For hardwoods I can also use the battery saw for branches, but once I tried to use it on a hickory and while I could limb it up, I went through 3 batteries before I bent the thin blade trying to cut the hard trunk wood. I use a 45cc saw with an 18 inch blade for most heavy cutting of trunk wood, although I have occasional need for my 95cc saw which is heavy, deafening, dangerous, and cuts through 3 foot diameter logs like butter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a old electric Remington chain saw with a power cord and that saw will cut almost anything without all the noise. I have had it for over 16 years and it still works. Its a better option than a gas powered if you are new to chain saws.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have a old electric Remington chain saw with a power cord and that saw will cut almost anything without all the noise. I have had it for over 16 years and it still works. Its a better option than a gas powered if you are new to chain saws.
This. I was cutting down a tree with my battery saw and my neighbor across the street showed up on his roof. I went over to visit and he asked "Hey what are you doing?".

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
There are no nice stories about chainsaws -- why not get a professional who will have his own equipment and know exactly how to use it?

What? I couldn't survive here in East Texas without a chain saw. It is literally one of the most valuable tools I own. If I called someone to come in every time I needed a chain saw I would be broke.

Nice stories just about each time I use mine. The money and time saved is incalculable.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I have more trees than I can count, plus the necessary equipment to look after them. Fortunately my income is sufficient to pay a younger more experienced man to use the chainsaw. He needs an income as well.
Unless you are going to be doing a lot of wood cutting on an ongoing basis, I don´t think the outlay on a chainsaw and the smaller types, the protective clothing and the (cheaper than hospital) safety lessons can be justified.
Other opinions will naturally differ.

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I agree Will, I have a hand-held Ryobi saw which I charge from the solar, it has metal jaws which slide, reminds me of a praying mantis -- I think for any branch 3inches diameter or less it would be hard to beat. Quality is excellent and the battery will power other types of tool.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I have more trees than I can count, plus the necessary equipment to look after them. Fortunately my income is sufficient to pay a younger more experienced man to use the chainsaw. He needs an income as well.
Unless you are going to be doing a lot of wood cutting on an ongoing basis, I don´t think the outlay on a chainsaw and the smaller types, the protective clothing and the (cheaper than hospital) safety lessons can be justified.
Other opinions will naturally differ.

Yes, I totally and completely disagree. I have the money to pay others, LOL but I believe in self sufficiency. Hard work is its own reward. The satisfaction from doing a job well done is worth far more than money.

Expensive? You can get a small Stihl that will last a lifetime for about $180....far less than what anyone would charge to do your work for you...and if you buy it from a Stihl dealer they will give free safety lessons and operating lessons. I have a large one that is well over 30 years old and a small one that is new.

Incalculable value. It is the most important tool you can own if you live an independent, country lifestyle as we do. City folks may disagree.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
You can always tell a Texan.
But you can´t tell him much.

Proud Texan here...and can justify the chainsaw in multiple ways without even trying. To say they are not justified is just garbage, pure garbage and horribly wrong!

p.s. 3 million chainsaws are sold in the USA alone each year, every year. Some of us disagree with saying they are not justified.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree with everything @Meadowlark posted about chainsaws. I have been using chainsaws ever since they came out in the 1960's without a single lesson. I've never had a mishap. I now own 3 chainsaws. One is an old McCullough Bear. It is no longer made but still works fine for really big trees. It has a 32 inch bar. A heavy, powerful and massive saw. I have a Husquvarna for most work and an Echo for lighter duty cutting. In rural Texas one simply has to have a chainsaw whether he is poor or not.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Brings back memories of that old sing song commercial jingle, Chuck: "You're in luck when you got a McCullough chainsaw"

Ask a Question