Wood Chips Around a garden bed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5a
Country
United States
I put in a raised garden bed and am wondering how wood chips would look around them just as some decoration. It might just annoy me and get all over the yard, I'm not sure. I figured if I did put in some wood chips I could put some garden decorations on them and make it look nice. Has anyone else done this? What have you done to spice up your vegetable garden to make it look prettier?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Wood chips are primarily to retain moisture. Esthetics are not considered. A well weeded vegetable garden with healthy produce is beauty by itself.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?JXGEZ 30 March 2012 Wood Chip Mulch
Wood chip mulch is available from the city. There is a half cubic yard box in the rear of the van for transportation. A stockpile is obtained for later use in the vegetable garden. My main purpose is to retain moisture. When the vegetable plants get reasonably large the area is mulched. In the Fall the chips are rototilled into the soil and by Spring they are usually completely composted.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?MDJZF 3 June 2014 Mulch
All my plants are heavily mulched with readily available year old wood chips. The layer is 2 to 3 inches thick. I use from 6 to 8 cubic yards each year.I transport in a box in my van, half a yard each trip from a local supplier at $5.00 per load. In my case the main purpose is to retain as much moisture as possible, by inhibiting evaporation due to Sun and wind action. Mulch also plays a role in inhibiting weed growth to some degree. In the Fall the chips are rototilled into the underlying soil. They are mostly composted by the following Spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I use bark and find it the perfect mulch for paths or beds. It packs well for paths and stays fluffy if not walked on. It is easily weeded and if you change your mind it composts and slowly disappears creating a nice soil.

If you want to smoother weeds or want to start a new path just use a good covering of cardboard underneath. You will only need enough bark to lightly cover the cardboard. The worst things to use are plastic products with gravel. Over time weeds will blow in and are difficult to remove. Have dealt with both and wood products are the best.

Three years ago I started my woodland garden using cardboard to smoother the grass. Still has very few weeds since all the plants and seeds were smothered.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In many parts of the states, wood chips can become a haven for insect pests, yellow jackets and termites. Other than that we use them for mulch to retain moisture as well as a decorative texture in some areas of the yard. They will break down over time and need replenishment. I find the mower will blow them a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I find wood chips and beauty bark to be more annoying than they are worth, to be honest. They quickly fade and make the garden look bad. If you are only using them for keeping your plants hydrated then they can be stirred into the soil, and that is a good use for them. Regular watering should eliminate the need for chips to be added. They are really messy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We use wood chips on the path from the house to the workshop, and surrounding our vegetable gardens. It provides a buffer from the invasive grass (good old Bermuda) and a place to park the garden cart, lay tools down where I can find them again, and "define" the garden area.
If you want to dress up your raised bed a surround of wood chips would look nice, I think. One warning--get the "no float" kind or a good rain will rearrange your path!

Attachments

• back path in bloom.jpg
    back path in bloom.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 562
  • Lg. Garden 4.jpg
    Lg. Garden 4.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 562
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The thing I don't like about wood chips, is that they are hard to plant around. They don't decompose like mulch does, so each year you have to rake them aside whenever you plant a new plant. They tend to fall in the hole before you can get the plant in it. Then, as some else said, they will quickly fade or discolor, so when you add new ones (because they do seem to disappear and get a bit thin each year) you end up with different colors. Just MHO.

Also, where are you getting the wood chips? If you're getting them from someone who has cut down a tree, and chipped up the wood you have to be careful. If I'm not mistaken, there are some trees that aren't good for flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had not really considered the termite issue, but that is another good reason not to introduce wood products into your garden. We have enough problems with bugs and pests, might as well not invite any to invade our gardens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Guess, it is a regional thing. Termites and bugs are not a problem with wood products in the garden in my locality. Using shredded bark has even made a big impact on controlling slugs. Our 6 inchers don't like crossing it. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
For what it worth, around my raised beds I alternated Flat stone and pebbles, my feeling was it looked good, helped with the drainage and would be easy to care for and weed. I went with the pea gravel and the 1' x 1' squares, alternating each with squares in the corners. The flat stone make nice places to set the containers. I put in some of the brick edging rail to keep it all tight and square.

I also use quite a bit of chipped pine mulch and pine straw in the garden, I know as a mulch the pine breaks down faster but it works well and adds the acid this soil seems to lack. I use this on all the beds except the far front beds which get black mulch around the annuals. Termites are not an issue this far north, I seldom dig out anything to ickey bug wise... worst is some wood spiders and they are not that bad .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In WA I've used red cedar mulch for my flower beds and had no issues with pests since most seem to hate cedrar. Plus the bright red color made the flower beds extremely pretty to look at. It was also a great trap for weeds.

Ask a Question