Wonderful Bulb Kits

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I've been stranger, but happy to see the forum bustling. I just planted kits of mixed variety. Half are Narcissus Paper Whites and rest are Amaryliss Apple Blossom. To my amazement, they are growing! I'm planning on giving half to our sons for their gardens and keeping the rest to plant outside in spring (whenever that arrives in Massachusetts!).
Can I use them in containers? I'd like to create container gardens as I can't weed much anymore. Old age and all that. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome back! :)

Yep, you certainly can plant bulbs in containers. They'll need a bit more TLC than bulbs planted in the ground, but nothing major - you just need to be more mindful of making sure they get enough water and are protected from frost.

What are you planning on planting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, yes you can. :)
I'd just move them to a basement or somewhere cool and dark for winter, then fertilize and set out when frost danger is over.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Just make sure your containers have good drainage and some crock in the bottom then pot up and watch them grow:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks. Our walkway to front door has a nice area but is very shallow, feels like shale or rock below a bit of soil. I'm thinking seasonal pots would be nice, starting w spring bulbs I'm growing now. There must be a thread about saving bulbs here. I could learn how to recycle them. I have an old Thalassa Crusoe book somewhere which was about growing indoors. Oh well there is always the e library.
In a diff area, I also created a mothers garden in August 2015 which presently has landscaping fabric which I highly resent! I'll pull it out in spring. I planted peony and iris which were faves for our mothers. I worry they won't grow being restricted by the fabric. I've since read where it kills the soil. As much as I hate the little critters, I don't want to kill their world either. Anyway, sInce I can't kneel to weed anymore I sit on a lil buddy my husband bought me; still it's hard, so am thinking containers are more manageable.
I have a cold frame to start them and would hate to stop gardening entirely!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When I bought this house 6 1/2 years ago there was rotting landscape fabric in the existing flower beds and I hate that stuff! I removed it all and having being relying on heavy applications of mulch since...I had a bunch of tree work done and had the old wood chipped up.

I don't know what all you grow...but Google "straw bale gardening" especially if you do any veggies. It's really a no- muss, minimal work gardening technique, I've done it for five years now. Not for everything...but for a lot of what I grow each year. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When I bought this house 6 1/2 years ago there was rotting landscape fabric in the existing flower beds and I hate that stuff! I removed it all and having being relying on heavy applications of mulch since...I had a bunch of tree work done and had the old wood chipped up.

I don't know what all you grow...but Google "straw bale gardening" especially if you do any veggies. It's really a no- muss, minimal work gardening technique, I've done it for five years now. Not for everything...but for a lot of what I grow each year. ;)
Great idea BethB. We plant mainly flowers. I had pansies in the shallow walkway garden but they got very straggly although they were generous with volunteers! I found my Thalassa Cruso book who reinforced Darens encouragement to be sure to add drainage to the new pot. Also found her book on outdoor gardening on Amazon and snapped it up so will have it read well before spring. I'll explore the straw bale gardening thx!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thought you might like to see one of the bulb kit flowering. Amaryllis Apple Blossom wins hands down. Paper Whites seemed to overgrow!

Attachments

• IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 250

Ask a Question