Wobbly Tuckeroo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Two years ago I planted a 1.5 metre tuckeroo in a sunny location, which gets plenty of water. It is now 4 metres tall and very healthy looking with lots of new green foliage. Its fluffy, and named Kevin.

The tree was planted in a layer of topsoil (about 150mm) above a layer of clay soil about half a metre deep. Beneath the layer of clay is more porous soil.

Recently in a strong storm the tree ended up at a 45 degree angle to the ground. I pushed it straight and staked it, and there has been no obvious effect and the tree is still powering along putting out new growth.

I have noticed, however, that the tree does not seem firmly planted in the ground. It can be wobbled from side to side and it looks like the root ball is wobbling with it. It conjures up the image of a shoulder socket, with the ground being the socket and the tree being the arm bone and the root ball being the humerus.

I have little knowledge of trees but it appears to me that the tree has set down a long strong tap root but no lateral roots at all to stabalise it. I am assuming that the main water supply is from the porous layer beneath the clay layer so the tree id putting all its roots down there, leaving it unstable in the top 500 to 600 mm of clay soil.

Is there anything I can do to promote root growth or alleviate the situation?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Constant rootball movement can impede lateral root growth. Most of the new roots start out about the size of a hair and are very tender. Any movement can break them. I would put down 4 stakes around the plant and then tie it off so it can’t move at all. Then follow DirtMechanic’s advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Staking is the best and first and most straightforward thing to do. We do this with our newer fruit trees. We use wooden stakes and when they fail the tree is usually stable, as it took a couple to three years. So we just clean up the stakes an thats that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What temperature ranges will the Tuckaroo stand? My quick glance at the link did not turn up any zone info, but it was quick as I am at work just now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tuckeroo, also known as Carrotwood (Cupaniopsis anacardioides) is an evergreen tree in the Soapberry family (Sapindaceae), native to New Guinea and northern and eastern Australia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefcommander

Latest Threads