Withering away...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Can someone help me save my plant? It's one of my indoor container plants. I'd like to know what the name of it is so I can do more research on how to take care of it, right now it is withering away. There are only a few stems left and it's constantly sprouting out new leaves. I can just touch it gently and it will detach from the stem. Your input is deeply appreciated.
2014 grasshopper visit.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That looks to me like a plant called Wandering Jew. I can see stripes on some of the leaves. If I were to guess I would say that you are watering it too much

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I just checked it out and a Wandering Jew is it exactly. The website that I checked out had the plant in an outside garden, is this normal? I always thought Wandering Jews were houseplants. Now that I know exactly what it is I can take measures to save it. Thank you for responding so quickly Chuck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just checked it out and a Wandering Jew is it exactly. The website that I checked out had the plant in an outside garden, is this normal? I always thought Wandering Jews were houseplants. Now that I know exactly what it is I can take measures to save it. Thank you for responding so quickly Chuck.
In my area of the world it is an outdoor plant. My mother grew it and it grew everwhere including where we didn't want it to grow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I found another website the confirms that the plant can be nurtured outside in hot/humid areas. It also stated to use warm water for indoor care and I used cold water, hence a withering Wandering Jew :sick:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have one, it is a Wandering Jew. It does grow very well during the summer, with lots of sunlight. During the winter it when it is indoors it will get a little sick looking but it comes back very strong. I put mine out this spring when I thought it was warm enough but we had a freezing rain over night and I thought Ihad lost the plan, It came back to life and was and still is very full, the color has started to change and the stems are beginning to ge t leggy. I cut mine back so that I can start new plants. Cutting it back will also keep the stems from falling into your hands when you touch it. My plant.
upload_2014-12-14_15-53-45.jpeg
upload_2014-12-14_15-53-48.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Nice, mine was full like this. Does the plant go dormant in the winter months?

Ask a Question