Winter veggies don't seem to be hardy enough...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted a bunch of collard greens just before winter started (maybe too late) and I can't seem to get them healthy. They are so wilted, even though I thought they were supposed to react nicely to the cold. Is there anything I can do or are they just done for the season? I hate this time of year because I feel like I can't ever produce anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If they are wilted they most likely need more water. I've never grown collard greens before so I can't say for certain, but wilt usually means water is needed so give that a shot. Have you been feeding them with anything? Miracle grow maybe?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It is common for brassicas to wilt under the cold, and to spring back up when the temp warms up.
Have your plants had any opportunity to warm up since they were hit by the cold?

If the answer is yes, and they've not responded at all, then you may have a big problem, but if it has remained cold, they may well be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is common for brassicas to wilt under the cold, and to spring back up when the temp warms up.
Have your plants had any opportunity to warm up since they were hit by the cold?

If the answer is yes, and they've not responded at all, then you may have a big problem, but if it has remained cold, they may well be fine.
Some of my brassicas were the opposite. It was very cold and cloudy for a few days and then turned of very warm and sunny and they wilted. But the next morning they were all perfect again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Some of my brassicas were the opposite. It was very cold and cloudy for a few days and then turned of very warm and sunny and they wilted. But the next morning they were all perfect again
I live in Britain, ergo I would have no experience of this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in Britain, ergo I would have no experience of this.
Where you live do your brassicas grow in spurts? It will and has been cold and cloudy, more than usual, and the plants just sit there and don't do much of anything. Then out comes the sun and the temps go up and you can almost see them getting larger. If it stayed cloudy and cold all the time I would say that I am growing dwarfs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Where you live do your brassicas grow in spurts? It will and has been cold and cloudy, more than usual, and the plants just sit there and don't do much of anything. Then out comes the sun and the temps go up and you can almost see them getting larger. If it stayed cloudy and cold all the time I would say that I am growing dwarfs.
That's how we grow some brassicas, but we can grow most of them through the summer.

Ask a Question