Winter (or Summer) of 2015/2016

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Has anyone had a normal winter this year? Or a worse winter than usual? I understand that Washington DC has had to move up its Cherry Blossom event a couple weeks. Someone else told me he's seen his lawn most of the winter in the Boston area.

What about those on the other side of the equator?

Has there been a change in your summer? Has it affected your planting/growing/harvesting season?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We had a very mild winter here in the UK. We had a cold snap in recent weeks, including a bit of snow, but even taking that into account the winter was far warmer than usual.

I'd also be interested to hear how things have been in the Southern Hemisphere - @DeborahJane perhaps you can shed some light on this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
What about those on the other side of the equator?
I feel summer in 2016 was significantly different than usual. It is OK no year is perfectly equal, but this year I felt it was significantly different than last few years.

No one told me, I came to that conclusion myself last month. Then perhaps something really is different (or not).

:unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yep, expecting some snow this weekend, normal for here. Speaking of weather--- there is a date I have watched and took note of ever year since 1979, and the weather for that one date, has always been the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It has been milder here in Missouri the last two winters, but nothing that unusual. We used to plant tomatoes and peppers May 1st, but now must wait a week or two later as we have had some early May frost and cold weather over the last few years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe we have a warmer winter here this year! We have few snow storms but the snow didn't stay around for long. It lasted probably three days and then melted comparing to the previous years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This winter had been warmer and very little snow (y) March hasn't been to bad until this week end the weather report said could be the big storm of the winter or it could be like all the other just a few inches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
Different how?
It was dryer, with more isolated rainfalls, unusual cold for days, hesitant weather.

Not sure if it is good or bad, I just know it was different from past few years.
Yesterday we got an "unprecedented" rainfall at night. It was so much water it managed to get into my house for the first time, 50 centimeters of water and about 7cm in my house.

Anyway, everything is back to normal now. I'll just pass the weekend cleaning all the dirt and trash left on the yard.

Just another evidence for me to think this summer was significantly different this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This winter was crazy. We had many very warm and sunny days and many days when it was snowing so hard that it was impossible to walk, lol. No one knew what to expect, every day was like a surprise.
It didn't affect my plants, because I grow them indoors.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My Winter was warmer than average, but I had to shovel my driveway just as much as every year. Maybe more 2 inch snowfalls that would typically be 4 inch snowfalls. We also usually get one big snowstorm toward the end of Winter, but it just missed us this year.

Ask a Question