Winter is coming

Reaction score
This is my first year having a garden and so I wanted to ask, if anyone could tell me how to prepare for winter? Should I dig them up and bring them inside? Do I replant them and they pop up next year? Any information would be helpful! Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is my first year having a garden and so I wanted to ask, if anyone could tell me how to prepare for winter? Should I dig them up and bring them inside? Do I replant them and they pop up next year? Any information would be helpful! Thank you!
It all depends on where you live and what you have planted. A little info would go a long way

Reaction score
I have zineas and gardenia bushes! Just as summer is leaving they're in full bloom with many more budding! I hate to see my flowers go! I'm assuming there are no flowers that can be planted in winter? lol :p

Reaction score
I have zineas and gardenia bushes! Just as summer is leaving they're in full bloom with many more budding! I hate to see my flowers go! I'm assuming there are no flowers that can be planted in winter? lol :p

Unfortunately as Zinnias are annuals they will die off as soon as the cooler weather approaches whereas your Gardenia although cold sensitive - may well survive if you can give it some protection over the winter months.

There really is no reason to be without flowers over the winter months - however - although there is plenty of choice when it comes to both winter flowering shrubs and perennials - its very difficult to know what to suggest without first knowing what kind of climate you live in :)

Reaction score
Sorry! lol I could've mentioned that huh! I'm in Southern Ga and it gets pretty cold here. I'll probably just throw a sheet over the bushes like everyone else does. I'd love to be able to still have flowers in the winter! Especially with all my outside xmas decorations!!

Reaction score
For some winter colors, you might consider the Christmas Rose, Witch Hazel or many other winter flowering plants. I'm not sure what plants are good for winter color in your area, but if you're not normally buried in snow as we are here, I think it would be a great to enjoy live flowers during the holidays. Check with your local landscaper or garden supply for suggestions. And save some of those zinna seeds after the flowers die and dry. You can plant them again next spring. Happy gardening!

Reaction score
I'd love to be able to still have flowers in the winter! Especially with all my outside xmas decorations!!

In that case I too would suggest the same as TDolce - Helleborus otherwise known as The Lenten or Christmas rose - especially as it generally flowers from November right through to late Spring the following year and comes in many, many different colors too and rather than post a picture of it - as we already have a thread on Helleborus - have included the link here

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/helleborus-winter-flowering-perennial.1539/

so that you can see all the wonderful varieties and colors in comes in.

You could also consider violas and any of the winter flowering jasmines - as not only will they give you a constant supply of winter flowers - but will grow well in your area too :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pansies are the winter plant that give a lot of color to the yards in my area.

Reaction score
I'm taking a lot of tips from this thread for what I should try. Hmm!

Ask a Question