Winter Gardening

Reaction score
I'm not sure if someone else asked this question but I'm new to gardening and wondered if you all still garden during the winter? If so, what are some vegetables, plants that still grow easily during this time?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't work in my garden during winter. Everything is covered with snow anyway. I prefer to focus on house plants. Currently, I'm thinking of trying to grow tulips in water, I'm pretty sure that it will be very exciting:) I also grow a few herbs.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Quite a few things will overwinter, Purple Sprouting Broccoli, Kale, Mizuna, Lambs Lettuce, Land Cress, Leeks, Spring onions, Garlic.

Most get started off earlier in the year though, so they are established before the colder weather comes.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It does depend on the climate of your winter. When I lived in California winter was mostly rain and I was able to continue growing most of my plants. I now live in the Mid-Atlantic area and it is below freezing at night already. I do not grow outdoor plants in the winter but will bring indoors a few plants if I have room to give them the amount of light they require.

Reaction score
I really don't like to do gardening during the winter, and I don't think I ever will. There are very few things you can do with your garden during the winter anyway. That's why I like having my plants in plant pots. I just get them in during the winter, and they're usually fine. Have you thought of growing herbs indoors or doing a bit or indoors gardening inside pots?

Ask a Question