winter casualties?

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone else lost much this winter. it was pretty harsh here and it seems whatever I had in a pot for the most part didn't make it.

I'm asking about my dogwoods in another thread, but it looks like a bonfire peach tree I had on my deck is barely hanging on. it had a few blooms and a couple leaves, but that's it. I mean to keep it in place since it showed a little bit of life.

I have four blackberry bushes in pots and only one leafed out some. like the others, the brances don't seem completely dead so I'm not ready to pull them out yet.

I tried to make the switch to perennial flowers in my front step pots now that I know the difference between them and annuals, but I don't think any of them made it either. I just replaced tee hostas this weekend. I was waiting 'cause I wasn't sure when I should expect to see them, but I started seeing them in peoples yards, and eventually one I had in the ground came up too (along with one that is in a pot, but maybe because it's older or in a more protected spot. I don't know). the other plant I can't remember the name of (it was something like "gallardia"? a sunburst kind of orange bloom) or how it looked, so I'm seeing something come up in a couple of the pots they were in (2 of 6), but i'll have to wait to see if I'm just looking at weeds.

the one thing I had in the ground that didn't make it was a nectarine tree, but I think I had it in a bad spot anyway. it wasn't thriving as well as the other trees planted with it.

*pours some water on the ground (ok... actually on the other plants) for the fallen*

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you lost so much this winter! I heard temperatures were freezing cold up in the north! Over here it was quite pleasant for a winter, a little too hot for my taste... this winter I let my pots out since I can't carry them in anymore. I got a plastic to cover them next year, in case the winter is too tough. Actually this winter did wonder for my calla lilies and the other 3 plants I still have, I'm so impressed! Some days were very cold, but surprisingly enough the calla lily didn't freeze!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Im worried about my blackberries.. I might have lost them. Lost one rose for sure and possibly another one. Clemantis in the front yard isnt looking too good either. I was expecting to lose alot more but everyone else came back fine

Reaction score
That's a lot to lose but that is the way of it especially if you live in an area that was hit hard by a brutal winter. I got off fairly lucky but others didn't.

Reaction score
winter was very cold here. I didn't lose too much. Four rose bushes for sure. I'd leave whatever you have. It seems like the plants are just taking their time this year :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Noticed this morning that the clemantis out front is making a comeback and the rose is starting to show more signs of life

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
was a nice little surprise on my way to work this morning. Now I just need to rethink some of the new plants I am doing out front since those two werent really in the plan

Reaction score
The winter here was not too kind to the plants. It got warm for a few days, so the daffodils and such started blooming. Then it dipped below freezing for several days. It wasn't good. Our daffodil festival was basically absent of daffodils this year.

Ask a Question