Winter Brassicaceaes

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here in East Texas, winter gardening is stupendous for the winter brassicaeas. We grow three kinds of cabbage and stagger plant to have continuous supply until spring.

The green cabbage goes well in cabbage soup and as a stir fry.

reg cabbage.JPG

The Savoy cabbage is less tightly wrapped and is excellent chopped up in salads .

savoy cabbage.JPG

The red cabbage seems to have smaller heads than the others and makes colorful additions to salads.

red cabbage.JPG

Cauliflower is best eaten raw right out of the garden.

cauliflower 2020.JPG

Broccoli is very easy to grow and very hardy all winter. The fresh broccoli is fantastic compared to the stuff sold in stores.

broc 2020.JPG

Kale produces very well here all winter and spring. Kale chips are an interesting way to use it.

kale chips 2020.JPG

Later in the winter, we will have brussels sprouts but they are a slow grower here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Sprouts are a slow grower everywhere, but here in the UK, I grow two crops, as they're my wife's favourite.
The early crop starts in Sept/Oct, but they don't stand very long.
What we haven't yet eaten are in the freezer.
My late sprouts start about mid=Feb, and I'll harvest these over about 4 weeks.
It's possible to just to sow successionally to crop continuously from autumn to spring, but I don't see it as necessary.
Your kale looks good; have you tried it as "crispy seaweed"?

Ask a Question