Window boxes

Reaction score
Does anyone really do these? I've heard that they're quite good for those of us who maybe don't have as much room as the rest of you, so I was wondering if I could maybe get some tips or advice on setting up one?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does anyone really do these? I've heard that they're quite good for those of us who maybe don't have as much room as the rest of you, so I was wondering if I could maybe get some tips or advice on setting up one?
The main thing is to have the window box securely attached to the building and have drain holes. If you have done this you can grow just about anything. If in a brick or concrete structure one must use adequate anchors, if wood use backing plates. A window box weighs quite a bit, with the weight of the box plus the dirt and the weight of the water when you water. If they are designed and installed properly they are an excellent means of growing all kinds of things. Many people use window boxes and grow everything from annual flowers to green beans to lettuce and radishes to anything else that doesn't have a deep root system, Herbs are especially suited to a window box and many other eddible and visual plants as well. Go for it!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Window boxes are such lovely little pieces of nature. When I lived in Germany, it was not unusual to see window boxes in the windows over the department stores, ect downtown because people lived in apartments over them. I always remember the beautiful flowers that they grew in those boxes. I am not able to put in window boxes where I am now because I rent a little house. If I could, I would love to grow things to put in salads,, radishes, lettuce in the spring, green onions, little patio tomatoes,, ect. I hope you are able to put in some window boxes. I watch some of the home makeover shows and ;have noticed more window boxes being installed, so maybe they will make a comeback.

Reaction score
My experience with them is to have good drainage with them and don't overload them too much with plants and soil. Also, anything in a container does need to be closely monitored in terms of watering, the plants will dry out quickly in a box or a pot.

Reaction score
The main thing is to have the window box securely attached to the building and have drain holes. If you have done this you can grow just about anything. If in a brick or concrete structure one must use adequate anchors, if wood use backing plates. A window box weighs quite a bit, with the weight of the box plus the dirt and the weight of the water when you water. If they are designed and installed properly they are an excellent means of growing all kinds of things. Many people use window boxes and grow everything from annual flowers to green beans to lettuce and radishes to anything else that doesn't have a deep root system, Herbs are especially suited to a window box and many other eddible and visual plants as well. Go for it!
Hmm not sure how I'd be able to securely attach it to the building. Where I'll be living in a few months that I'm talking about is going to be quite high up, so it wouldn't really be possible to just go up a ladder and screw in some boxes, you know?

I'm hoping that the windows open just enough that I can hang some things out, although I'll have to see.

Ask a Question