Wilting, leaf curl, brown spots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Not sure if this is related to the other thread I recently posted. I've got tomato seedlings and also cantaloupe. Just the other day I noticed some leaf curling on the tomato seedlings. I also noticed the cotyledons of the cantaloupe were all wilted. The medium seemed to have some moisture left in it so I was weary to water again. However, I did since lack of water would seem to cause wilting. I watered both the tomatoes and cantaloupe. I fill the bottom tray with water and put the tray with the seedlings in it into the tray with the water. After a few minutes the water has reached the top of the medium. I take the top tray off, dump the water, and then put the top tray back on the bottom tray. I left the seedlings out until the sun went down, temp was in the low 70's but possibly in the 60's by the time I took the seedlings inside. When I brought the seedlings inside the cotyledons on the cantaloupe were still wilted and the I still noticed the curl on some of the tomato plants. I covered the seedlings and put them on the rope lights (working on building a heat mat). In the morning I noticed the cotyledons on the cantaloupes were no longer wilted but did have some brown marks on them. The leaf curl on the tomato plants was for the most part gone. However, there were light brown marks on the leaves. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

20150405_1604531.jpg

20150405_1605321.jpg

Thanks,
Nick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
From medium they're in? If so, unlikely as it's seed starter mix, which I guess is just peat, vermiculite and perlite. At least that's what I think is in it. It's for sure seed starter mix. No nutrients. I guess I should have mentioned that in my original post.

Thanks,
Nick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
First, wilting is a symptom of under-watering AND over-watering. You definitely want to let the medium dry completely before watering again (just don't let it stay dry for too long). Also, if it IS over-watering, then that would potentially explain the leaf spots. Sometimes a white fungus can result on tomatoes due to too much moisture and splattering of soil/medium onto the leaves. Try my first suggestion. If that doesn't solve it, then try an organic solution like Neem Oil Extract.

Ask a Question