Will this tree survive?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I had a beautiful birch in my garden - now it's no longer beautiful because most of of the branches are withered. There is only one branch that is green and it's quite big. Is there any chance that this tree will survive? Or should I cut it? I hate cutting trees, in my opinion it's like killing animals, but if this tree is already dead then I see no other choice. How can I check it out?

Reaction score
We scratch the bark on the dead looking branches, if its dry and snaps when you bend it that branch is dead. I am not a tree expert by any means, that is just what we do. Hope someone else will reply to you who knows more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We scratch the bark on the dead looking branches, if its dry and snaps when you bend it that branch is dead. I am not a tree expert by any means, that is just what we do. Hope someone else will reply to you who knows more.
Thank you for the advice! I'm afraid most of the branches are dead, at least they look dead:( . I definitely must try out your method. I hope that tree trunk is still alive. I really like this tree:( .

Reaction score
Maybe if you can find out what caused the other branches to die and fix that, you could save the tree. We had those bugs that dig into the tree and lay eggs, that has killed off a couple of our trees. I lost a birch myself to that insect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't think it was because of the insects because I haven't seen any and I was looking for them quite carefully. My neighbour has a well, so maybe the soil is too dry for my tree...but other trees are fine so I'm not sure if it's the cause. I'll be really sad if this tree won't survive, I love trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, I'm not sure...It was there ever since I remember and I'm 27 now. I think the tree is still alive although it doesn't look so good:(

Reaction score
Find the proper fertilizer for the tree and more than likely you can save it. One reason it's not dead is because you stated this, "There is only one branch that is green and it's quite big" If the branch or leaf is green, it's still alive. You can nurse it back to health.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you! After reading your post I feel more optimistic. Even if it's only one branch, it means hope, right? I really care about this tree, I have so many memories connected to it:) .

Reaction score
It might be possible to save,but how about re growing it? Like it must be high enough if its 25 years old or older, someone has to cut off the dead branches (if they are dead), and do some pruning the following years to shape it back, and are you prepared for it to be a bit of an eyesore for a couple of years?
I sell and care for trees for a living and my bet is the tree didnt have enough water. Ive had a couple of clients have their birch trees go way early into their autumnal process as a defense mechanism. Did the leaves on the questionable branches turn yellow early? if so get a ladder and scratch the bark like someone said and if its green underneath, leave everything as it is and just be mindful of the water next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It might be possible to save,but how about re growing it? Like it must be high enough if its 25 years old or older, someone has to cut off the dead branches (if they are dead), and do some pruning the following years to shape it back, and are you prepared for it to be a bit of an eyesore for a couple of years?
I sell and care for trees for a living and my bet is the tree didnt have enough water. Ive had a couple of clients have their birch trees go way early into their autumnal process as a defense mechanism. Did the leaves on the questionable branches turn yellow early? if so get a ladder and scratch the bark like someone said and if its green underneath, leave everything as it is and just be mindful of the water next year.

Thank you! I prefer my tree to be an eyesore for a couple of years much rather than dead. The problem with water is that my neighbour has a well nearby and it's stealing water from my tree... I'm watering it but I guess I should do it more often:( .

Reaction score
Claudine I am not sure if you are in the same season as myself but we are just now in the middle of winter. Anyway with that said if you are in the middle of winter like myself I would wait and see what spring brings. I have 4 river birch trees and this particular type of tree loses its lower leaves as it grows and I am constantly cutting off dead branches but they are usually smaller ones. One year it was very dry and my tree lost quite a few of its leaves late in the summer, they turned yellow and dropped much like they do in the fall. However the next spring they came back just like they do every spring.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I don't think the tree will survive especially if the the trunk is dead. This means that translocation of synthesised food from the living branch will be compromised. I think the best thing to do is to use the technique called layering. You enclose a section of the living branch with manure mixed with soil and then tie with a piece of cloth. Wet with water and after about two weeks, roots should emerge in the enclosed section and voila! Cut the branch and plant in a large hole filled with wet soil mixed with manure.

Ask a Question