Will this little tree straighten up on its own?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
This little Neem tree has been growing very nicely. It is now 5' (153 cm) from the soil line. I will give it 3' (1 m) more to grow before i top it off. My question is will the trunk straighten out as it grows? or is there something i can do to straighten it? or what?:)
P1020779.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can probably straighten it out but it will be a slow process. Put some splints on the crooked area and over time slowly squeeze them together with tape. Do just a little bit at a time. Within 6 months it should be straight. It will not straighten by itself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
The trunk is still nicely malleable so i think it will work. Just looking around for some good splints to use.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It wont straighten on its own Beverly.....in fact more likely to bend even more!
I would use a couple of canes and tights to tie and tighten every couple of weeks. I have done this myself. The wood, as you have said, looks malleable so it should straighten :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you, i have tried off and on to set some splints, but keep getting rained out. Not that the rain is particularly bothersome until it starts to come down too hard to see. Having little windshields for my glasses might help.:)

I am having a problem finding splints. i tried pieces of wood 3/4" thick 9.5" long x 1.5" wide, and that was difficult to maneuver, plus the splints were rubbing the bark off down to green (is this a problem?). Should i be using something other than wood? And i'm pretty sure i should be using smaller splints. @Verdun I don't know what you mean by canes and tights (other than women's fashion ware to keep legs warm -- not used in the tropics :). And are "canes" sugar canes? walking canes? either one seems unlikely. If anyone can recommend some better size and/or materials to use, that would really help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya Beverly
Canes as in bamboo canes. A couple of 6' canes lightly imserted into the soil and tied with rags or tights to the stem.....they stretch and are easily retied. Splints are likely to move I think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you, i have tried off and on to set some splints, but keep getting rained out. Not that the rain is particularly bothersome until it starts to come down too hard to see. Having little windshields for my glasses might help.:)

I am having a problem finding splints. i tried pieces of wood 3/4" thick 9.5" long x 1.5" wide, and that was difficult to maneuver, plus the splints were rubbing the bark off down to green (is this a problem?). Should i be using something other than wood? And i'm pretty sure i should be using smaller splints. @Verdun I don't know what you mean by canes and tights (other than women's fashion ware to keep legs warm -- not used in the tropics :). And are "canes" sugar canes? walking canes? either one seems unlikely. If anyone can recommend some better size and/or materials to use, that would really help.
Use duck tape on the tree first but cut the tape so as to have glue side to glue side. Cut the tape so as to NOT cover all of the glue. This means 2 pieces of tape, one wider than the other. On your little tree tongue depressors taped together should work. If they are not long enough use a yardstick cut to size. Anything will work. Or as @Verdun said bamboo

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Oh, thank you @Chuck i was thinking the splints would have to be much heftier. Okay this is doable. Is scraping the bark so the green shows through going to damage the tree in any way do you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Canes as in bamboo canes
Okay thank you Verdun. I haven't seen bamboo cane around there that is not growing and green but i get the idea. Would you have to insert the two canes into the soil very close to the trunk for this to work? or can you insert them at an angle? I would be hesitant to damage the growing tree roots. This is still a very small tree (5 ft from the soil line) and if i found cane it would probably be larger than the tree trunk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
did not read if it was in a pot or ground. if pot, just turn the pot to get sun exposure on the alternate side to get it to move that way. other than that, I would not fuss about it, kinda like the curve.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Chuck i found this message in my email, but can't find it here:
Do not scrape off the bark. It probably won't hurt anything but it could invite insects and/or diseases. Why would you want to? You know the tree is alive so what would be the point?

Oh no, i didn't want to remove the bark but in my first clumsy attempt to attach some splints, the splints were scraping the bark in some places and i didn't think that was a good thing, so i stopped what i was doing to rethink the process. I only lost a few small patches and i'll check on them from time to time for any signs of diseases.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck i found this message in my email, but can't find it here:
Do not scrape off the bark. It probably won't hurt anything but it could invite insects and/or diseases. Why would you want to? You know the tree is alive so what would be the point?

Oh no, i didn't want to remove the bark but in my first clumsy attempt to attach some splints, the splints were scraping the bark in some places and i didn't think that was a good thing, so i stopped what i was doing to rethink the process. I only lost a few small patches and i'll check on them from time to time for any signs of diseases.:)
I deleted it when I reread your previous post.

Ask a Question