Will this little tree straighten up on its own?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Hedges' started by Beverly, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Beverly

Beverly

This little Neem tree has been growing very nicely. It is now 5' (153 cm) from the soil line. I will give it 3' (1 m) more to grow before i top it off. My question is will the trunk straighten out as it grows? or is there something i can do to straighten it? or what?:)
    P1020779.JPG

Beverly, Jul 11, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Beverly

Chuck

You can probably straighten it out but it will be a slow process. Put some splints on the crooked area and over time slowly squeeze them together with tape. Do just a little bit at a time. Within 6 months it should be straight. It will not straighten by itself.

Chuck, Jul 11, 2017
    Larisa and Beverly like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Beverly

Beverly

Beverly, Jul 11, 2017
  4. Beverly

Chuck

I have never straightened a tree but I have done the opposite to make a handle on walking sticks so I don't think there is much difference.

Chuck, Jul 11, 2017
    Beverly likes this.
  5. Beverly

Beverly

The trunk is still nicely malleable so i think it will work. Just looking around for some good splints to use.

Beverly, Jul 11, 2017
  6. Beverly

Verdun

It wont straighten on its own Beverly.....in fact more likely to bend even more!
    I would use a couple of canes and tights to tie and tighten every couple of weeks. I have done this myself. The wood, as you have said, looks malleable so it should straighten :)

Verdun, Jul 11, 2017
    Larisa and Beverly like this.
  7. Beverly

Beverly

Thank you, i have tried off and on to set some splints, but keep getting rained out. Not that the rain is particularly bothersome until it starts to come down too hard to see. Having little windshields for my glasses might help.:)

I am having a problem finding splints. i tried pieces of wood 3/4" thick 9.5" long x 1.5" wide, and that was difficult to maneuver, plus the splints were rubbing the bark off down to green (is this a problem?). Should i be using something other than wood? And i'm pretty sure i should be using smaller splints. @Verdun I don't know what you mean by canes and tights (other than women's fashion ware to keep legs warm -- not used in the tropics :). And are "canes" sugar canes? walking canes? either one seems unlikely. If anyone can recommend some better size and/or materials to use, that would really help.

Beverly, Jul 12, 2017
  8. Beverly

Verdun

Hiya Beverly
    Canes as in bamboo canes. A couple of 6' canes lightly imserted into the soil and tied with rags or tights to the stem.....they stretch and are easily retied. Splints are likely to move I think.

Verdun, Jul 12, 2017
    Beverly likes this.
  9. Beverly

Chuck

Use duck tape on the tree first but cut the tape so as to have glue side to glue side. Cut the tape so as to NOT cover all of the glue. This means 2 pieces of tape, one wider than the other. On your little tree tongue depressors taped together should work. If they are not long enough use a yardstick cut to size. Anything will work. Or as @Verdun said bamboo

Chuck, Jul 12, 2017
    Beverly likes this.
  10. Beverly

Beverly

Oh, thank you @Chuck i was thinking the splints would have to be much heftier. Okay this is doable. Is scraping the bark so the green shows through going to damage the tree in any way do you think?

Beverly, Jul 13, 2017
  11. Beverly

Beverly

Okay thank you Verdun. I haven't seen bamboo cane around there that is not growing and green but i get the idea. Would you have to insert the two canes into the soil very close to the trunk for this to work? or can you insert them at an angle? I would be hesitant to damage the growing tree roots. This is still a very small tree (5 ft from the soil line) and if i found cane it would probably be larger than the tree trunk.

Beverly, Jul 13, 2017
  12. Beverly

DrCase

I like the bend it gives the tree a little character .

DrCase, Jul 13, 2017
    Beverly and Chuck like this.
  13. Beverly

Esther Knapicius

did not read if it was in a pot or ground. if pot, just turn the pot to get sun exposure on the alternate side to get it to move that way. other than that, I would not fuss about it, kinda like the curve.

Esther Knapicius, Jul 13, 2017
    Beverly likes this.
  14. Beverly

Beverly

@Chuck i found this message in my email, but can't find it here:
    Do not scrape off the bark. It probably won't hurt anything but it could invite insects and/or diseases. Why would you want to? You know the tree is alive so what would be the point?

Oh no, i didn't want to remove the bark but in my first clumsy attempt to attach some splints, the splints were scraping the bark in some places and i didn't think that was a good thing, so i stopped what i was doing to rethink the process. I only lost a few small patches and i'll check on them from time to time for any signs of diseases.:)

Beverly, Jul 13, 2017
  15. Beverly

Chuck

I deleted it when I reread your previous post.

Chuck, Jul 13, 2017
    Beverly likes this.
  16. Beverly

Beverly

Yes, thanks for this pov, it does look like it has a little bit of attitude:) I've been wondering what would happen if i just left it alone but someone mentioned that it would probably get worse so i started with the splints. So you think it will grow up okay? I do have it staked now so i won't lose it during the rainy, stormy season. I don't mind the bend if you think it will be okay at 8 ft and in a container. I will top it at 8 ft. If i put it in the ground it will become 75 feet and i don't have the space for that.:eek:

Beverly, Jul 13, 2017
  17. Beverly

Beverly

Well i'm glad i saw it because you answered my concerns about the scraped bark. I wasn't sure if i needed to put a bandaid over the scrapes or what:)

Beverly, Jul 13, 2017
  18. Beverly

Beverly

Thank you Esther, it is in a container and i am going to top it at 8 feet. Otherwise it will grow to 75 feet and i don't have the space for that. Yes, i was moving it around to take advantage of the sun but now the rainy, stormy season is here and i need to address stability. The rain doesn't bother it much even when it is quite heavy, but it will be challenged by high winds most likely. I started in a 3 gallon pot and repotted it in a more substantial one yesterday and staked it against the wind during this season so i think it will survive. I kind of like the bend too, but didn't know if it would affect stability at 8 ft. in a container. I'll be happy when the trunk chubbies up some. I really appreciate your input.:)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    Beverly, Jul 13, 2017
  19. Beverly

Verdun

Straighten it asap....the novelty of that bend will suddenly irk you Beverley. A cane, straight pole, even metal thin post, yes close to the tree tied at 3 or 4 points. It doesnt really have to go into the compost :)

Verdun, Jul 13, 2017
  20. Beverly

Beverly

@Verdun the bend is not so much of an issue as the overall stability and health of the tree, but if i am "suddenly irked", i will surely let you know.:) Right now i am leaning toward the advice to not fuss with it other than staking the tree to survive our tropical storms, which is done. Thank you for your participation.

Beverly, Jul 13, 2017
    1. Advertisements