Will stratifying annual seeds kill them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I bought a wildflower mix that contains 70% annuals and 30% perennials. I emailed the company and they said it’s recommended I stratify the perennial seeds.

however, this mix contains both...will stratifying annual seeds kill them?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
No, done properly stratifying annual seeds will not kill them...but are you sure they said stratify or did they say scarify?

A lot of wildflower seeds need to be scarified....for example, our beloved Texas bluebonnet will not establish in my area without first scarifying the seed. Its Nature's way of protecting wildflowers from expiring in the stomach acids of animals that eat them. You gotta be tough to pass that test, so to speak.

Since its a mixture, hopefully your company has included seeds that require the same stratification techniques. See the recent discussion:

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/can-i-stratify-seeds-in-their-original-package.18093/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=March 2020

Last edited:

Ask a Question