Will my grass grow back?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am new to this website. I hope I am posting in the correct place.

I recently sprayed my lawn for weeds in several areas. Although I though I was using a broad leaf weed killer that would not kill the grass, I realized I had inadvertantly used a weed and grass killer. The brand name is Spectracide Weed and Grass Killer (contains diquat dibromide).

Three weeks later, the weeds are dead, as well as some of the underlying grass. There are now brown spots throughout the yard. I have done some research, but have been unable to determined the effects of the herbicide. I am hoping that it just kills the plants that are sprayed and that there is no soil contamination.

Will my lawn grow back? Is the soil contaminated? If so, what should I do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your grass will grow back. The herbicide kills what it touches and does not stay active very long in the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is an awesome YouTube channel called The Lawn Care Nut, or something like that.

Anyway, I always watch his videos when I have a question about my grass - he is awesome.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the responses! I think it is centipede grass. I'm in Louisiana.

I was really worried I had screwed up big time.

Any recommendations on how to kill clover without herbicide? I purchased a lot with a lawn that is out of control. I have large patches of the kind with the white flowers. Will just mowing it eventually kill it? I have also heard boiling water might be an option.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for the responses! I think it is centipede grass. I'm in Louisiana.

I was really worried I had screwed up big time.

Any recommendations on how to kill clover without herbicide? I purchased a lot with a lawn that is out of control. I have large patches of the kind with the white flowers. Will just mowing it eventually kill it? I have also heard boiling water might be an option.

Thanks again!
Just about any chemical that kills clover will also kill the grass too. Once clover has established it is just about impossible to get rid of it without killing everything else too. It might be easier to kill the grass and have a clover lawn instead:). About the most effective non-chemical way to get rid of clover is solarization but that kills everything too. But with hot weather coming quickly you would still have time to reseed before fall if you started now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Bees love clover, and it is an attractive plant, so why kill it? A mixed lawn will survive better than a mono-culture lawn.
The gardeners here are awesome also, and you can ask further questions and carry on conversations about your difficulties, something that is not possible with a YouTube site.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Don't know how you'd effectively kill clover and keep your lawn to a single type of grass.

But clover lawns are a thing, unless you want that perfect manicured look. My lawn back in Colorado was probably 50 percent clover and in that arid climate never needed watering. My current lawn is an eclectic mix of clover, various grasses, mint, wood violets, creeping charlie and who knows what else. Probably everything that makes it up is native, given the history of this area.

But it's extremely lush and green, I never fertilize or water - the only energy I spend on it is mowing (and I wouldn't do as much of that if I had my druthers - except the township would fine me if I didnt.) Its also quite sturdy...I have three dogs and their pee doesn't make yellow patches or anything. :p

So unless you truly value a "perfect" lawn I'd suggest letting nature do its thing and just keep it mowed. If someone in your household is allergic to bees, in my experience weekly mowing prevents the clover from flowering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Good luck on trying to get rid of clover, if you miss just one root it will come back. My lawns are 75% clover and I keep it because the bees love it and I like the smell of it when its freshly cut.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I suppose my desire to have the clovers gone is to keep up with neighborhood regulations. I personally like the less manicured look too.

I really apprecise all the comments!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
you could find something on the shelf at wally world that will kill the clover and save the grass
just make sure you read how much to mix for your centipede grass
you might have to hit it a few times but it will go down , i add a little dish soap to make it hotter

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Your grass will grow back eventually, after the herbicide has faded away or washed out from the soil. I think it would be worse if you salted the lawn like ancient conquerors did, I doubt you won't see your grass again. It will just take some time for them to grow back, so in the meantime you should definitely check what you put in your plants for future reference, so you won't make the same mistake again.

Ask a Question