Will mango tree thrive in zone 8B?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, and thanks in advance for your advice :)

My question is, will Mango trees survive zone 8B? (Austin Texas).
More specifically, can they survive through the winter at year 2...

I've read a bunch about how Mangos will not survive below 9B without serious help due to temperature dropping below freezing... However, according to this link, Texas hardly ever experiences temperatures low enough to kill off Mango tree (roughly 26 degrees Fahrenheit). http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/austin/texas/united-states/ustx2742 and https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Texas/average-annual-temperatures.php

After checking the weather forecast for the remainder of 2016, I can confirm that it's not expected to ever get below 40 degrees Fahrenheit .

Additionally, I only care that they survive as their leaves are beautiful. I don't care for fruiting with this particular tree.

I'd like suggestions on both Patio pot mango trees as well as growing them directly in the ground.

Again, thanks! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Our first freeze is in November. This past January it was 22F here and I am a hundred miles further south than you. In the past few years it has been warmer but we still have low temps into the teens. You cannot plant them in the ground here, only in pots and they must be moved indoors. I do hope you are correct but I am not going to hold my breath in hopes of only 40F through December

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Our first freeze is in November. This past January it was 22F here and I am a hundred miles further south than you. In the past few years it has been warmer but we still have low temps into the teens. You cannot plant them in the ground here, only in pots and they must be moved indoors. I do hope you are correct but I am not going to hold my breath in hopes of only 40F through December

Eh. I looked through December and January, for Austin, the lowest is 41 Fahrenheit .

Do you think at 41 degrees, covered and on a patio blocking three sides of the wind, do you think it would survive?

PS: If for any reason it got lower, I'd move it in for a day or two.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your data is for temperature averages. Believe me it gets MUCH colder than those links state. Just for arguments sake lets say that in January you had 10 days of 20F, 40F and 60F temperatures. Your average is 40F but that doesn't help your Mango tree which is now dead.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
From someone who lives in a zone that routinely gets below zero (never mind below 40 or even 32...that's like most of Oct through April; we can have a month where it never gets over freezing :eek: ) seems to me you'd be playing Russian Roulette with the poor plant, carrying it in and out on the whim of your local weather forecasters. Which are very often wrong. So one misstep and your tree is dead. :(

Can the smaller mangos be grown indoors? I have houseplants that love being outside May through September but then the chance of killer cold temps is too great so they come in for winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It should be able to thrive in texas, it shouldn't get too cold, it's not like you're growing in Antarctica or Mount Everest. Mangos originated from India and India has a relatively similar temperatures but they get much more rain and , just keep it well watered, it the temperatures do get pretty low and you start seeing frost, don't water it, let the soil dry so the water doesn't freeze the roots, I have a mango tree sitting next to a window and it's been doing great, doesn't need much sun but it does tend to use up allot of water, I live in California and I think our temperatures are similar to yours, just hotter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your data is for temperature averages. Believe me it gets MUCH colder than those links state. Just for arguments sake lets say that in January you had 10 days of 20F, 40F and 60F temperatures. Your average is 40F but that doesn't help your Mango tree which is now dead.

You have a great point.... I guess that leads me to my next question....
Will they survive if they are 100% indoor ? Can they fruit indoors (lightly) assuming there is a grow light ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You have a great point.... I guess that leads me to my next question....
Will they survive if they are 100% indoor ? Can they fruit indoors (lightly) assuming there is a grow light ?
I don't see how you could give them enough light indoors to thrive but they might survive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How about a compromise...outside in the sun during the warm months, then inside with sufficient light when there's any chance of colder weather?

I'm not sure if mangoes have a dormant "winter" period, being tropical trees. But plants that do probably don't lose much traction by being inside a few months out of the year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't see how you could give them enough light indoors to thrive but they might survive.

Hmmm.. Ok.
I have one more method I'd like to ask about... Perhaps in the winter, I put the mango tree in a corner and have two heaters blowing towards the tree anytime it drops below eh.... about 50 degrees. I guess my worry with that though, is if I don't have the heater constantly blowing, the temperature fluctuation would be just as harmful? Any tips? ... Or even as the other guy said, move them in during the winter (acclimation). I know it's a ton of work, but, I'm willing to put in the work. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hmmm.. Ok.
I have one more method I'd like to ask about... Perhaps in the winter, I put the mango tree in a corner and have two heaters blowing towards the tree anytime it drops below eh.... about 50 degrees. I guess my worry with that though, is if I don't have the heater constantly blowing, the temperature fluctuation would be just as harmful? Any tips? ... Or even as the other guy said, move them in during the winter (acclimation). I know it's a ton of work, but, I'm willing to put in the work. :D
I can't think of an easier way to kill a tropical tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
Really??? You can give any plant, whatever amount is needed for it to grow, & thrive, … indoors or out, …

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Eh. I looked through December and January, for Austin, the lowest is 41 Fahrenheit .

Do you think at 41 degrees, covered and on a patio blocking three sides of the wind, do you think it would survive?

PS: If for any reason it got lower, I'd move it in for a day or two.
so, you could build a structure that could be opened, & closed for whichever season you are in, … using a clear cover for the upper portion of your mango tree, … so that it could let in enough sunlight during the day, and -rote the it from storms of whenever, … like shutters on a cottage loft, … making them usable throughout the year, … I don’t know how tall a Mango tree could be, but more than likely, less than 30 feet, … and with the proper staging, you could keep it trimmed off if the height exceeds your collapsible greenhouse covering, …
I am going to use an old trampoline frame, & some 1&1/2 inch pvc poles, to create my greenhouse once I get my backyard landscaped, so that I do not have to walk in a pool of water, (where I am going to place the greenhouse), … because I am the lowest property on our block, the torrential rains I’ve experienced since I moved here into the Gadsden, Alabama area, has attributed something like almost 4” of rain in a 3 hour frame rate, … (really happened about a week, & 1/2 ago), … so I have a lot of work to get done, but I believe it will be well worth it, …

Ask a Question