Will indoor plants bring bugs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will having indoor plants entice bugs and the like to populate my home? It's not a make or break situation if they do but I would like to be prepared haha. I'm not super squeamish when it comes to insects but, like many others I'm sure, I'm not a big fan of spiders... Especially not the big ones!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've never had a problem with the ones that stay inside year-round. A lot of my houseplants live outdoors in the summer, and when it starts getting cold out, I bring them in for the winter. I have learned to check for spiders at the end of summer!! :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Like MaryMary, I let some of our houseplants stay outside for our spring/summer/early autumn, then bring them in. The ones that are small enough I simply dunk in a bucket of tepid soapy (soap, not detergent) water, and after about five minutes rinse them off. I put waxed paper or plastic wrap over the soil to keep it from falling out of the pot, turn the plant upside down, and dunk. After the rise I remove the paper or plastic wrap.
Those that are too large (and there are only two big ones, thank heavens) I spray with a soapy solution on both sides of the leaves and on the stems also, then rinse with plain water after about five minutes. I don't bother with covering the soil since none is going to fall.

ziskasun

A seed once sown never dies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi Elle, I have grown a few different types of plans indoor and have experienced some types of "indoor" pests that I was unaware could be a problem. When I planted lettuce and herbs and some micro-greens indoors I noticed that within a few days some tiny "gnats" (similar to the type that might be attracted to fruit left on the counter top) came around and seemed attracted to a source of moisture. It really became quite the nuisance. I tried spraying some water mixed with peppermint oil around the perimeter of the container and that helped somewhat. I also noticed that some ants were attracted to the containers that were self-watering and held water stores in the bottom part of the container. I then switched to containers that just drain into a small drain trays and also tried not to over water so that there would not be standing water there. Hope this helps....good luck with your indoor gardening!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put my plants out for the summer and bring them back in when it starts to get cold outside. I do check the plants for bugs on the leafs and in the soil when I bring the plants back in side.

Ask a Question