Will I get roses this summer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
First time around with flowers. Bought a rose cut. Will I see roses this summer?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
What do you mean by "rose cut?" If you bought a cutting (no roots) from an established rose, no you won't get blooms this summer. Depending on the variety of rose and if it has been rooted and for how long, you may get blooms. Roses do best set directly in the ground. Some are adapted to containers, really large containers, but most are happiest with their feet in the dirt.
Give us a bit more information and a photo if possible, and we may be able to give better help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
looks like this

Attachments

• 32312BD1-40C8-4179-AC97-91A28D41FE6B.png
    32312BD1-40C8-4179-AC97-91A28D41FE6B.png
    292.8 KB · Views: 153
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
If the rose cut looks like the ones in your post, put the roots in tepid water overnight, dig a good size hole and put some compost or composted manure in the bottom (about two cups) and plant the rose. Keep it watered so the soil is damp but not soggy.
Since you are in W. Virginia, the sooner you get the rose in the ground, the better. It will need time to settle in before hot weather hits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If the rose cut looks like the ones in your post, put the roots in tepid water overnight, dig a good size hole and put some compost or composted manure in the bottom (about two cups) and plant the rose. Keep it watered so the soil is damp but not soggy.
Since you are in W. Virginia, the sooner you get the rose in the ground, the better. It will need time to settle in before hot weather hits.

Ty, the only person who isn’t being a smart ass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Make sure your bare root roses drain well. It was the hardest thing for me to find out, where in the yard had the right drainage AND sunlight. I lost a few to not draining well and learned the hard way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh I just know esther a little bit. Just saying hi.

Make sure your bare root roses drain well. It was the hardest thing for me to find out, where in the yard had the right drainage AND sunlight. I lost a few to not draining well and learned the hard way.

Ty

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I guess google is a wonderful thing ughhh 3 yrs lol.

Attachments

• 1F5F9B1A-650D-4743-A47A-34BAC6A29F39.png
    1F5F9B1A-650D-4743-A47A-34BAC6A29F39.png
    106.6 KB · Views: 173
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I guess google is a wonderful thing ughhh 3 yrs lol.
Not necessarily. Plant hormones are amazing and seaweed is chock full of all of them. Also, calcium nitrate is a water soluble form of calcium, the only one as I understand, with nitrogen. The annual addition of some calcium and some gentle fertilization and some seaweed micronutrients and hormones will make magic happen. There are some pruning lessons I really have not learned well and the plant type plays a part, as does the hours of sunlight and temperature in an area. Mainly just do not drown them with love or water.

Ask a Question