Will anyone be giving plants as gifts this Christmas?

Reaction score
Weihnachtsstern_-_gro%C3%9F.jpg
It's a tradition with my family to always give poinsettias at Christmas. Does anyone else share plants with friends or loved ones. Or perhaps donate plants to your church?

Reaction score
I've never thought about doing so at all, that would have really eliminated all the Christmas shopping.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not plants as such, but made a crop rotation seed board for Sis :)

DSCN0690.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I never really thought of giving plants as Christmas though my aunt asked for arranged flowers as a Christmas gift. She and her family just moved in to their new house last Christmas Eve and she said new houses should always have flowers to give put positive energy. I might give it as a gift for my mom in other occasions since she love plants and flowers so much. Thank you for the thought!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice one Sam :)

It goes round in a 4 year cycle, just not growing the same group on the same bit of the plot slows the build up of diseases and means you're not taking the same things out of the soil.

The legumes add nitrogen if you leave the roots in, which benefits the next group to go in. I'm sure it's meant to be done in a particular order, but that falls by the wayside in the haste to get things going in our short season.

If you've got the space to do more beds then it would be good to leave one fallow for a season too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I saw some Christmas themed potted plants at the grocery store the other day and thought they would make nice gifts, but did not get any. Next year maybe. I was completely broke by the time Christmas arrived this year.

Reaction score
I have received plants as gifts but i have never really given a plant as a Christmas gift before; i think this is something i will look into doing in the future as it is more cost effective.

Reaction score
I don't have any friends who are as interested in plants as I am, so giving plants as gifts wouldn't go over well. I would love to get a plant for Christmas

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I know that poinsettia is the Christmas plant and it is lovely and fitting to be seen in this light. I would have like to receive some plants for my Christmas but plant giving is not so popular where i am from. You have to buy your plants as individuals are very protective of them and do not like to interfere with their collection.

Reaction score
I give plants as gifts all the time. My cousin thinks that gifts that require work are a no no but I don't think of taking care of plants as work. Christmas I think is a good time for plant gifting. With all the beautiful lights and other decorations plants are a great addition. I wrap the potted plant in festive wrapping paper and gift them. I think it works great especially if it's for someone who also loves plants. I know some people who only likes plants that bloom but I like them all :)

Ask a Question