Wildflowers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey--

I know I've been writing a lot of posts lately, but I'm so new and I have lots of questions! So, since I'm such a newbie, I thought I would start my gardening by planting wildflowers in our flowerbeds (since I have neither the skill, nor currently the time to maintain high maintenance plants). I already planted some flax which has flourished and some California poppies (which took a while to grow, but finally did). I just learned from the nursery I went to though that most wildflowers die every year and they have to be replanted. Flax is apparently an exception. Does anyone have any experience with wildflowers? I just love them so much and they are so tough! I am looking hopefully for some wildflower plants that don't die every year. I live in Southern California by the way, so I don't think all wildflowers would work. Thanks!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can't help too much since the weather here in wisconsin is so much different than california, but I would suggest Gaillardia. There is likely a type that is a perennial in your area, and if not seeds are very easy to collect and drop. It's got my favorite flower. Asclepias Tuberosa would be a great one too but I don't know how it does in your area.

If I were you, I would search for plants native to your area. There is bound to be a website somewhere. Then you can find out what sticks around, and because it's native, you'll get a lot more native insects and animals benefiting from it. Also just a heads up not to confuse the term "wildflower" with "Native". Many companies are using the term "wildflowers" to get people to think those plants grow around them in the wild.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Hey--

I know I've been writing a lot of posts lately, but I'm so new and I have lots of questions! So, since I'm such a newbie, I thought I would start my gardening by planting wildflowers in our flowerbeds (since I have neither the skill, nor currently the time to maintain high maintenance plants). I already planted some flax which has flourished and some California poppies (which took a while to grow, but finally did). I just learned from the nursery I went to though that most wildflowers die every year and they have to be replanted. Flax is apparently an exception. Does anyone have any experience with wildflowers? I just love them so much and they are so tough! I am looking hopefully for some wildflower plants that don't die every year. I live in Southern California by the way, so I don't think all wildflowers would work. Thanks!
I like to bring in the wild as I call it. I have written a post on that. Here is one more of my wild flowers. I do not replant them but once it starts raining they just come up again. I call it the tiger claw but its real name is Gloriosa lily
tigerclaw.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I live in Michigan, and like you I planted wild flowers in my little garden that I bought a packet from the Dollar Store. Some has come back for the last two years such as tickseed, mini bachelor button, wallflowers, and poppies.
Since I didn't spend too much money on this packet of mixed wild flowers, I am happy that some of them are doing well for the past two years.

Ask a Question