'Wild Plum' From Nebraska?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it, but when I was growing up my grandma used to make wild plum jelly. It wasn't until i was little older that she took me out to pick wild plums. We drove down the country gravel road, pulled up to a really tall bushy 'tree'. It wasn't a single trunk but a collection of trunks with intertwining branches into one really large bush shape. The plums were small though, not like grocery store plums, but small and oval shape, kind of like a big grape. The outside was a dusky purple red color and really sweet. There was a single pit in the middle like a plum and they were super sweet to eat. I've been trying to find it in books but I've been coming up with dole and some other name and I'm not sure. So I was wondering if anyone knew what I'm talking about and would know the name of the actual plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it, but when I was growing up my grandma used to make wild plum jelly. It wasn't until i was little older that she took me out to pick wild plums. We drove down the country gravel road, pulled up to a really tall bushy 'tree'. It wasn't a single trunk but a collection of trunks with intertwining branches into one really large bush shape. The plums were small though, not like grocery store plums, but small and oval shape, kind of like a big grape. The outside was a dusky purple red color and really sweet. There was a single pit in the middle like a plum and they were super sweet to eat. I've been trying to find it in books but I've been coming up with dole and some other name and I'm not sure. So I was wondering if anyone knew what I'm talking about and would know the name of the actual plant?
This bush/tree is called Creek Plum. They are a native bush here in Texas and probably Nebraska too.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/nativeshrubs/prunusrivular.htm

Last edited:

Ask a Question