Why my balcony plants are dying?

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hello everyone ,

I live in Lisbon / Portugal and a little more than a month ago I've got these plants ( don't really know their names ) and I've planted them on medium size hanging containers. I put first a thick layer of soil and on top 1/3 layer of fertilizer and I've been watering them once a week.. However I see that they are slowly dying and I don't really know why. My balcony faces north and I live pretty close to the sea and sometimes it gets quiet windy down here , I've read somewhere that salty winds can harm the plants but I see my neighbors plants and they look totally healthy. Please help me find out how to save them , thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_9248.JPG
    IMG_9248.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_9249.JPG
    IMG_9249.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 345
Reaction score
Country
United States
The coniferous looking shrub may not have a deep enough container, the ivy doesn't look bad, when you say a 1/3 layer of fertilizer I assume you meant soil amended with fertilizer. Too much fertilizer can do harm, check what you have, the ivy will need a higher proportion of nitrogen. I know little about conifers.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
The coniferous looking shrub may not have a deep enough container, the ivy doesn't look bad, when you say a 1/3 layer of fertilizer I assume you meant soil amended with fertilizer. Too much fertilizer can do harm, check what you have, the ivy will need a higher proportion of nitrogen. I know little about conifers.

Hi fings , thank you for your reply. Yes I meant soil amended with fertilizer , do you think it's too much?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How long have you had the two? Most Plants from the store have enough fertilizer in them for a few months if not longer. The two conifers on the floor look very good, what's the story on them?

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
How long have you had the two? Most Plants from the store have enough fertilizer in them for a few months if not longer. The two conifers on the floor look very good, what's the story on them?

I have them a little more than a month. I didn't touch the conifers on the floor , got them 8 months ago and kept them in their pot as purchased. I water them also once a week

Ask a Question