Why is Roundup glyophosate considered bad?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yep, Roundup is bad stuff. But, Roundup is like candy when against products like Crossbow, Gordons or any of the 2-4D type poisons.
I played golf with an older fellow that ran kidney dialisis centers. Decades ago he covered 4 states by himself. These days they have multiple people covering one state. He did not know why. This article explains a lot toward that answer.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Honestly, Roundup should be illegal.

Because it's not, so many people think it's OK to use. They have no idea how bad it is, and when you tell them, they brush it off like it's no big deal. I hope someday we can all move away from dangerous chemicals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
One of the primary reasons people hate it is it’s Monsanto’s go to product and lots of seeds are genetically modified to get sprayed with it and survive. Soy, corn, wheat, etc... Many people consider the GM seeds and plants to be as equally harmful as the Roundup, although this isn’t exactly supported by science. Then again most “science” these days is one sided crap intended to prove specific points.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
One of the primary reasons people hate it is it’s Monsanto’s go to product and lots of seeds are genetically modified to get sprayed with it and survive. Soy, corn, wheat, etc... Many people consider the GM seeds and plants to be as equally harmful as the Roundup, although this isn’t exactly supported by science. Then again most “science” these days is one sided crap intended to prove specific points.
I agree with your sentiments, but not with the idea that a plant genetically designed to resist attack by a herbicide is then of itself a danger. Biological adaptation is just too proven for me to accept undetailed worry in this area. Rather -in this case - the use of the chemical to dry out grain prior to harvest is insane. It has to contaminate under those conditions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree with your sentiments, but not with the idea that a plant genetically designed to resist attack by a herbicide is then of itself a danger. Biological adaptation is just too proven for me to accept undetailed worry in this area. Rather -in this case - the use of the chemical to dry out grain prior to harvest is insane. It has to contaminate under those conditions.
We are splicing the DNA of a plant with something unnatural and mass marketing it. It may look and taste like corn to us, but who really knows what that does at the cellular level over multiple generations to consumers? Look at the explosions in obesity, autism, cancer, and food allergies, for example. I’m not implying causation but correlation is definitely there.

I don’t want to eat a plant that acts like a pesticide to insects, like BT corn does, in the same way I don’t want to use Roundup as a salad dressing. A lot of people refuse Roundup Ready corn/soy, not necessarily because they are GM, but because the plants are bathed in herbicide. Most people don’t want to eat something that has -cides all over it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We are splicing the DNA of a plant with something unnatural and mass marketing it. It may look and taste like corn to us, but who really knows what that does at the cellular level over multiple generations to consumers? Look at the explosions in obesity, autism, cancer, and food allergies, for example. I’m not implying causation but correlation is definitely there.

I don’t want to eat a plant that acts like a pesticide to insects, like BT corn does, in the same way I don’t want to use Roundup as a salad dressing. A lot of people refuse Roundup Ready corn/soy, not necessarily because they are GM, but because the plants are bathed in herbicide. Most people don’t want to eat something that has -cides all over it.
Wow. I had to read about BT corn and that is a freakshow isn't it? Gene splicing corn with other organisms, much less their toxic bits. My mind is blown by one writer saying there is a danger of all the corn seed being replaced by BT corn seed. That is going too fast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wow. I had to read about BT corn and that is a freakshow isn't it? Gene splicing corn with other organisms, much less their toxic bits. My mind is blown by one writer saying there is a danger of all the corn seed being replaced by BT corn seed. That is going too fast.

Exactly. If BT corn kills some types of insects, why wouldn’t it hurt humans in some way? It’s similar for Roundup Ready soy. If a soy plant can withstand repeated blastings of Roundup, it would seem unwise to assume that soy plant is totally safe. Particularly because regular soy plants are melted by Roundup. Makes you wonder what that does long term.

I would also like to point out that our understanding of this technology is infantile. Ditto for these diseases and illnesses that are becoming rampant. Cancer is big business, like our food supply, subject to marketing, hasty decisions, profits, and dumpster ethics.
Humanity with our current level of evolution simply isn’t capable of making “good” or safe choices regarding anything, much less genetically modifying our food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Last year I was looking at sweet corn in the grocery store and an old guy in coveralls came up and asked if I had found any ears with corn bores. I told him no. He told me not to buy any. He said that a corn borer can only live in corn and if they wouldn’t eat that corn he wouldn’t either. :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Last year I was looking at sweet corn in the grocery store and an old guy in coveralls came up and asked if I had found any ears with corn bores. I told him no. He told me not to buy any. He said that a corn borer can only live in corn and if they wouldn’t eat that corn he wouldn’t either. :confused:
There’s truth to that. If an insect or animal won’t touch something and we will, it should make you wonder. I always scoff at people who think nature/animals are beneath us.

Ask a Question