Why is my Cactus Turning Yellow from the Top

Reaction score
Country
Iceland
My cactus started turning a pale yellow color and it is growing from the top down towards the base. He's currently in a south facing window and has been getting watered about once per week. What could be causing this and what should I do to save him?

Attachments

• IMG-20180323-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20180323-WA0003.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 352
Reaction score
Country
Iceland
He also has some white spots (see picture below). Could this mean there's a pest problem?

Attachments

• IMG-20180324-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20180324-WA0002.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 369
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
He also has some white spots (see picture below). Could this mean there's a pest problem?
Small white spots if fluffy looking will be Mealy Bugs Which can be treated easily with a Cotton Bud dipped in meth's and carefully applied to the white spots. The other problem is probably as Zig says Just over watering. Which can kill a Cactus Quicker than Any Mealy bug.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Larisa is right. Sorry, but your poor cactus is losing the battle. Sometimes cutting it back to the healthy part will encourage more arms to develop, if you can catch it soon enough.

Reaction score
Country
Iceland
Larisa is right. Sorry, but your poor cactus is losing the battle. Sometimes cutting it back to the healthy part will encourage more arms to develop, if you can catch it soon enough.
So, you would recommend cutting all the "bad" parts off to try and give it a chance to keep going?

Ask a Question