Why I decided to grow vegetables for myself

Reaction score
Hey all,

Despite the fact that I am relatively new on the forum, I wanted to share something. While I am rather lazy at heart, I have decided to start growing my own vegetables. Not because I am utterly in love with the concept of doing more work (please, I keep busy enough at the office) but because it helped me in a number of different reasons. I wanted to share this with you and get your own thoughts about what made you start.

It helped my health

One of the primary reasons I started growing my own vegetables was because I would actually eat the vegetables that I am growing. Most of us understand that you need to eat more veggies throughout the day, but if I do not have any vegetables in my home I have to admit that (shamefully) I am not going to go out looking for them at the supermarket every day. I have found that ever since I increased my intake of vegetables dramatically, I feel much better and I have more energy.

It reduces my environmental impact

Do not get me wrong, I still have a car and I cannot say that I have ever looked at what my carbon footprint really is. Nevertheless, growing food in my (modest) garden without pesticides and herbicides does make me feel like I am taking small steps. I am not adding to the unnecessary air or water pollution. Even though I realize I am only one person, it still makes me feel good.

The food tastes better

This is the part that really struck me the first time I noticed it – the food actually tastes better when I grow it. Maybe it is partly a placebo effect, but I have noticed that I am enjoying vegetables that I would previously only eat because ‘they were healthy’.

Those were my reasons for actually growing my own vegetables. Do you have any reasons that you could share that inspired you to get started?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Dean, don't belittle your efforts, especially on the ecology front.
When I started growing my own, it was very small scale, but my thoughts were
1) Every time I eat a home-grown radish, or a potato or whatever, I'm eating slightly less pesticide/herbicide.
2) Every time I eat a home-grown radish, or a potato or whatever, I know that I've saved it a number of carbon-intesnsive journeys.
3) The taste IS better, far better. We grow for flavour and nutrition, supermarkets' growers are forced to grow for cosmetic perfection and shelf life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My reasons are similar. Plus it forces me to get out in the fresh air and sun which is not only good for my physical health but mental as well. The taste is much better and I grow things our local markets dont carry. It saves money not only on the cost of food, but less trips to the store saves on gas. This year I'm also trying clothes outside to save energy and $

Every little bit helps

Reaction score
I'm actually thinking f doing the exact same thing in the future, because the thing that worries me the most about the things I we eat at home are the pesticides! That's on my my biggest health concerns right now. I do know that I won't be able to grow all my vegetables, but at least a portion of them :) I'd be happy just to be able to eat my own homegrown lettuce!

Reaction score
My reasons are similar. My number one reason is knowing I am eating veggies that have not been treated with harsh chemicals. All of my favorite vegetables are often high up on the list of produce you should buy organic. This is a less expensive way for me to get my favorite veggies and not concern myself with what they were treated with.

Reaction score
Similar reasons but I have been gardening and /or farming for most of my life. I garden organically and the taste difference is amazing compared to what I buy in the store. Veggies, lots of veggies are the key to good health.

Reaction score
My reasons are the same as above plus I get to get out and work my garden myself! The fresh air, dirty hands and playing water pays for the cost of fresh veggies. I also get the enjoyment of giving as well.

Oh, oh, oh! Did I mention playing in my own garden that I've started saves me well over in the thousands a year in cost of fresh veggies? One cauliflower head at the store would be $5, one head of cauliflour from my garden? Maybe a total of .05 because I plant my own seeds. (Planted at my moms this year)

Reaction score
All these a wonderful reasons to grow your own veggies. Think staying out in the yard and working in your garden can save you thousands of dollars for time spent in the gym.

I also am a new member and I would like to ask a baffling question about my new seedlings. Every morning I notice all my new seedlings have been chewed sometimes the leaves have been left on touched. This leads me to think the culprit likes the soft succulent stems. What can I do to stop this? It is so discouraging when the seedling is doing so well and then have it destroyed before it can mature. Please help.

Reaction score
Well done (I hope I don't sound patronising :) ), Dean, and welcome to the forum. I think growing vegetables is a way of life where you get back to nature and learn to understand how to interpret her, and even parts of yourself, while you are out there and in close touch with the elements. So many people have lost that connection and, ultimately, the connection to themselves.
There are innumerable reasons for having a garden.

Ask a Question