Why Do Plants Have Latin Names

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was reading in this article about an article written about why they give plants these complex Latin names rather then easier names to say. Until I read this, I had not really ever thought about the why. Turns out it has something to do with classification. The author gave a great example using dogs.

Gardening News Today said:
t’s not quite like this, but imagine not being specific when talking about a particular dog. If you told someone that a dog was chasing you, you wouldn’t know if it was a Rottweiler, a German Shepherd, a Scottish Terrier or whatever breed. Though they’re all dogs, I think you would agree that their characteristics are quite different.

Here is a link to the article, there is a link to the article it is talking about there.

Why Plants Have Latin Names

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It does mean that both you and I and a Russian or whoever can discuss a plant and know we are talking about the same one.
By the way the vast majority of plant names are not actually real Latin, they are latinised versions of other languages, mostly ancient Greek.
You would also be surprised at how many Latin names you know and use regularly without thinking about it. EG. Crocus, Cyclamen. Rose, Dahlia and Fuchsia to give few examples.
Carl Linnaeus came up with the idea for the binomial system about 400 years or so ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Latin was choosen in a time when it seemed to lend authority. It is also a very universal language and is particularly well suited for ordered classification due to its grammatical structure. The fact that it is no longer a language used by a current nationality makes it stable.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Depending on what part of the UK you live in, you could be talking about Cuckoo pint, Lords and Ladies or Dog's Dickies, but it's only when you use the Latin name Arum maculatum that you'd know they are all the same plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Arum maculatum has the most common names of any plant in Britain.
And then of course what happens when you are talking to a non-English speaker about a plant growing wild in their country?
Many of the names given to plants were made up by the romantic movement, by people like Ruskin etc.
Bluebells in England are not the same as Bluebells in Scotland.

Reaction score
Put simply the Latin or botanical names are really nothing more than a universal language for plants.

Which I have to say I'm very grateful for - as after having gardened in many different countries around the world I have found it very useful - especially as knowing the universal or botanical name of a plant helps to accurately identify the specific plant or plants that you are looking for - regardless of what language is spoken in the country that you are living it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Depending on what part of the UK you live in, you could be talking about Cuckoo pint, Lords and Ladies or Dog's Dickies, but it's only when you use the Latin name Arum maculatum that you'd know they are all the same plant.

Latin definitely does help with identifying this and it is not only used with botany (or herbology). It is used in all medical and scientific fields. It is a shame that it is no longer an elective language in schools unless you are in those two fields and all you learn is the terms not the language. I would have loved to have learned Latin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Latin and English are the languages of science. Latin's also used in the medical field and in fields related to classification (biology and all its related areas) to avoid confusion with common everyday language. It's because a single plant can have a dozen common names all over the world, having a Latin name makes it a universally understood name.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Had an odd afternoon with one of my Sisters friends from Italy, he didn't speak English and I don't speak much Italian, but at least we could talk about plants and trees :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's simply because there are so many common names for organisms, it's a must. I mean, take Angel Trumpets for example. If one person calls them Angel Trumpets, another calls them Jimson Weed, and others call it Datura, they'd all be right.

You know what I mean?

Reaction score
I rarely use the Latin name of most plants, I'm ever lucky if I know the popular name in other language that isn't my own :p But yeah, them having latin names is supposed to make everything way more easier :) Specially if you are moving abroad like me :p

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I rarely use the Latin name of plants, I never guven it a thought really. This has been a very interesting discussion. Thanks, now I will pay more attention to the real names of plants I like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I used to know the Latin name for most of the plants I grew or sold when I worked in Gardening at Walmart. Now I can't remember any of them. They are hard to remember to start with but if you do not use it regularly the name leaves you and all you are stuck with is the common local name of the plant. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I wish more people used Latin names of plants. English is not my first language, and I sometimes don't know how to call a certain plant;) It's confusing.
Unfortunately, Latin names are long and hard to memorize.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Scientific Latin plant names help describe both the genus and species of plants in order to better categorize them.

Ask a Question