why do my plants keep being in bad condition?

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hello, my plants keep dying even though i really try to be following the intructions of the people in the plant stores i m buying them from. I feel like they will suffer either from too much water, either from too few water. At this point i cant understand what is going on, i uploaded 2 pics of my plants that are doing bad for reasons i cant understand. First of all, apparently the size of the pot was the reason for my overwatering. The bigger one was overwatered, while the smaller one was underwatered. Or at least thats what the (so called?) florist said, since a few plants of mine died right after a few days which he came to say that they were fine. Is the size of the pot more important than the size of the plant for watering? But anyway, my problem remains that even when i stopped watering the overwatered one, and started watering more the underwatered one, i was still having problems, i see leaves keep dying in the smaller one with no new ones growing, some branches even turned yellow, i had to cut 2 of them cause they dried for real and probably i will cut the other one i guess since its following the same pattern. Is the problem now that i switched from underwatering it to overwatering it abruptly or what? About the bigger one, i havent watered it since then and indeed, the mud hasnt seemed to have dried up even after more than a month or so that has passed i think. But then, why does the few leaves that have been left on it start turning yellow too and there are no signs of new growth? I also had a sansevieria and a few cactus that turned mushy and died, apparently that means overwatering, even though i was just following instructions. At this point, i desperately need some proper advice. How to save the remaining plants and how much and how often should i be watering them from now on? I really think that the problem lies on the water, at least for the ones that already died the reason was too much water, besides, there is good temperature in the room, there is some sunlight but not too much on it, and i often open the windows to renew the air. If you could provide some tips for these plants first and foremost, but also overall tips for watering cactus and sansevieria, it would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• za1.jpg
    za1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 61
  • za2.jpg
    za2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 63
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
George, if you have no garden to grow plants in, I would give up if I were you. Your pictures show dying plants in very dark conditions. In this case you may be better off buying some artificial plants which require no attention except the occasional dusting.
If you have no outside space, maybe you could find a communal garden to share with other people, and learn more about the plants from other gardeners before spending more money.
I wish you luck.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cactus and Sansevieria do not need a lot of water. Water sparingly when dry,soaking the roots, but no standing water. All your plants look like they need fertilizer and more light.

Reaction score
Country
Greece
George, if you have no garden to grow plants in, I would give up if I were you. Your pictures show dying plants in very dark conditions. In this case you may be better off buying some artificial plants which require no attention except the occasional dusting.
If you have no outside space, maybe you could find a communal garden to share with other people, and learn more about the plants from other gardeners before spending more money.
I wish you luck.
Why would i need a garden to grow my plants in? They are indoor plants and i want them specifically for my home. They also told me that these plants dont need a lot of light so its better to place them somewhere where they are not hit directly, yet not in the dark. When i open my windows, enough light seems to spread in the room so unless they misinformed me i dont see why that should be a problem. Also, i want to say these plants for the time being, so you suggest i move them to another spot? I dont want to needlessly stress them so maybe i could just try to keep more often all curtains open when i can in the house. As an afterthought, i see a lot of people keeping indoor plants just fine without being any kind of experts so i thought it would be more about knowing what each plant needs and provide it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok - fine, in that case, and before you spend more money, I suggest you do some reading about all the different aspects of growing houseplants first. Start by having some idea of their needs, and choose the plants that fit into your own conditions. I have found a link for you to browse for a start, and I hope it gives you few answers that you will need. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/hpgen/beginners-guide-to-houseplants.htm

I would pick on one particular plant you like first, and get to know all you can about it before you start :)

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Ok - fine, in that case, and before you spend more money, I suggest you do some reading about all the different aspects of growing houseplants first. Start by having some idea of their needs, and choose the plants that fit into your own conditions. I have found a link for you to browse for a start, and I hope it gives you few answers that you will need. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/hpgen/beginners-guide-to-houseplants.htm

I would pick on one particular plant you like first, and get to know all you can about it before you start :)
i will be sure to read it then, thanks for your time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Why would i need a garden to grow my plants in? They are indoor plants and i want them specifically for my home. They also told me that these plants dont need a lot of light so its better to place them somewhere where they are not hit directly, yet not in the dark. When i open my windows, enough light seems to spread in the room so unless they misinformed me i dont see why that should be a problem. Also, i want to say these plants for the time being, so you suggest i move them to another spot? I dont want to needlessly stress them so maybe i could just try to keep more often all curtains open when i can in the house. As an afterthought, i see a lot of people keeping indoor plants just fine without being any kind of experts so i thought it would be more about knowing what each plant needs and provide it.
What we see as enough light and what a plant sees are not the same. A plant that does not need direct sun still needs fairly bright light. Putting them in front of a window that does not get direct sunlight falling through should help. Inside a room is not bright enough for them to flourish without another light source (like a fluorescent lamp).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I manage to keep a few house plants perfectly healthy in my home without artificial extra lights. It is just a case of choosing the right plant for the right place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Plants, like us, need light especially sunlight to grow and survive. Some plants, mainly some vegetables celery and chichory are deprived light for a period of time. This is to enable the plant to blanch. Without sunlight plants and humans at least will become pale and weak and die. For plants.. Sunlight is needed to cause the action known as, photosynthesis to take place. This produces natural sugars and chlorophyll.
The term relating to keeping the plant out of the sun, implies direct sunlight. As we know people with fair sensitive skin have to be careful in hot sunny weather, much the same as some plants .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Hi! What kind of plants do you have? And how big of pots did you put them in?

Only a few varieties will survive in low light conditions, which i see in your pics. Some also require levels of humidity. If you think overwatering may be an issue, get a moisture meter.

Ask a Question