Why are you gardening?

Reaction score
Hey guys, do you have a main reason why you are gardening?

(Do inform me if there is any thread that is already made surrounding this topic...)

A part from the fact that we have some extra time and space for our little gardening venture, is there another reason why exactly you choose gardening instead of...lets say sports or other hobbies?

For me, I prefer having plants than that of pets. I wanted to be involved in a hobby where I can see results of growth. I've tried having pets, (hamsters, cats, fishes), but all of them turn out dead in a matter of months even though I spend a lot of my time with them and learning more about them as I go along. Basically, having my own garden helps me overcome this little 'crisis' I had. Some how it is easier for me to identify that there is something wrong with my plants, compared to identifying problems or sickness with my previous pets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like the satisfaction I get from watching things grow and the fact that I am helping them to grow. I do grow a few small space veggies, but would really like to expand this into a full size garden when I get a house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gardening is a challenge and a gamble all rolled into one. I have been in a garden for over 60 years and I learn something new every season. They say practice makes perfect. Not so in vegetable gardening, at least so far. When one beats the odds and is only 75% successful that is an accomplishment to be proud of. Mother Nature always has another trick to play on us

Reaction score
I am gardening because I enjoy doing it. Gardening is a way to watch something grow from a seed or plant that you inserted into the earth soil. Watching them grow really amazes me, and knowing that I planted them on my own. Most of all, I really like supplying some of my own food to my family and friends, knowing it came from my own garden. Gardening benefits me, and it really saves me a lot from going to the supermarket. :)

Reaction score
So sorry to hear your pets have ended up dead! That's so sad! Fishes have such a short life expectancy, cats not so much... unless they get cancer or some other serious disease, but hamsters... well, those are also fragile. So I understand where you come from. I recently found a little bird in my yard, and been feeding it and taking care of it... it feels nice to have it around, so I hope you haven't given up pets completely :love:

As for gardening, I started to do it because my dad got me interested in it. I fell in love with the hobby and found it to be so relaxing and peaceful. Plus seeing what you grow thrive is such a wonderful thing.

Reaction score
I like the satisfaction I get from watching things grow and the fact that I am helping them to grow. I do grow a few small space veggies, but would really like to expand this into a full size garden when I get a house.

I get the same feeling! Satisfaction to know I can actually grow thing, I don't feel that so much with ornamentals, but you should have seen me when I saw how my cucumber plants were thriving and bearing big cucumbers!!!

Reaction score
setting a scene I guess. I plant trees and flowers in my backyard to try and end up with an outdoor living space I see in my head. I've kind of branched off into trying some food garden things, and a few things in the front yard, but the "backyard paradise" thing is my main driving force.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion flowers are the most beautiful things in the whole world and I like surrounding myself with beauty:) Gardening gives me an aesthetic pleasure. It relaxes me and puts me in a good mood. Looking at my gorgeous miniature roses, tiny violets and colorful tulips makes me happy, I can't imagine my life without it.

Reaction score
Wow, what a great question!

I'm gardening for so many reasons. Mainly to grow my own food and to reduce my carbon footprint. I want to produce instead of consume and I want to help to nurture our planet rather than destroy it. I also want to attract animals and insects and generally make the surrounding environment greener and healthier and more enjoyable to spend time in, for me and everybody else.

The physical and mental health benefits are another key reason for my gardening. It gets me outside and keeps me active and gives me something to focus my energy on. Plus I just love spending time in nature so it instantly puts me in a good mood.

The satisfaction is definitely what got me hooked. The idea of having a project which is ever changing and evolving is just so exciting and rewarding. There is always something to do, there is always something to learn. I will never see nor grow every kind of plant and I just find that so humbling that it makes me grateful for the small part that I do get to experience and makes me want to try as hard as I can with it.

I think we all have an instinct for it. After all, we are all hunter gatherers at heart. It's just about listening to that instinct.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gardening is a type of mediation to me. It brings me closer to my understanding of the Divine Creator. I like to see a little seed grow to a beautiful plant or a sick plant become healthy again because I gave the plant some love.

It is good to have food from my efforts but it is more about seeing the final results of the work I put into getting the plants to grow and product something useful.

Reaction score
Gardening is something I enjoy doing,it's just amazing to sow those seeds and watch it grow to it's full maturity. Gardening is one of the things I use to relieve my stress; it's like when I'm gardening I just zone out; it's like i'm in a total different world.

Reaction score
Well the reason that i love gardening is because it gives great satisfaction to grow your own stuff, as in this day and age everything is processed foods which is obviously not the same!!

you cannot beat growing your own organic stuff yourself :)

Reaction score
I am gardening for several reasons, the first is because I love fruits, veggies fresh herbs but they are so expensive. In the summer I love smoothies and in the winter veggie stews but the fruits and veggies in the Midwest are so expensive. Growing them myself would cut down on the cost. Another reason I garden is because once you spend your hard earned money on fresh fruits and veggies you have to worry about pesticides and things like that. Another reason I garden is because I love it, I love seeing the end result of things I have cared for. It is very rewarding to me.

Reaction score
I think that it is a great hobby, you get to be outside in nature, its organic and you know that no harmful chemicals are being used etc. I could go on and on there many reasons.

Ask a Question