Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG
IMG_0874.JPG

What's the best time of day to go out and find out what's munching on my hydrangea?
It's gotten considerably worse since this photo, I'm considering cutting it down for the summer :(

Edited!!
Found this mysterious guy? What is It?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
wow that is a shame. have no clue. your way up there in Ontario. mine never have anything like that. try first spraying it with a mix of lemon joy and water. if that does not work in a week. then go to rose powder for bugs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
wow that is a shame. have no clue. your way up there in Ontario. mine never have anything like that. try first spraying it with a mix of lemon joy and water. if that does not work in a week. then go to rose powder for bugs.

I had rose bushes in that spot last year and kept having issues with them too, powdery mildew, black spots, alphids. Maybe my soil is contaminated?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
soil contaminated soil makes no sense to me. only because, where your at you should have a real good cold snap, for a good length of time, killing stuff are your hydrangeas near your house? could be your house is keeping things warm during the winter if so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
soil contaminated soil makes no sense to me. only because, where your at you should have a real good cold snap, for a good length of time, killing stuff are your hydrangeas near your house? could be your house is keeping things warm during the winter if so.

Yes we get real good cold snaps, and yes its near my house .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
find that phrase interesting "contaminated soil" looked it up. Hummmm. in all the years gardening, it would not be my thought ever. anyway. I would just treat your shrubs as suggested early. unless someone else has ideas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
Thanks, I just found it funnny both plants I've had in that spot seems to always have something :(

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm not sure if you have these in Canada, but it sort of looks like a June bug. :confused: It's blurry, though, so I'm not sure.

Does it look like this? Those are June bugs.

upload_2017-7-10_9-2-30.jpeg
upload_2017-7-10_9-3-7.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
I'm not sure if you have these in Canada, but it sort of looks like a June bug. :confused: It's blurry, though, so I'm not sure.

Does it look like this? Those are June bugs.

View attachment 23866 View attachment 23867

Hummmm...It does and it doesn't, the body almost looks see through, but they were pretty small so I couldn't focus on them that good. I should have had hubby remove one so I could set it on a dark surface. :(
It would be nice to know why they are so I can treat them accordingly.
I will try and see if I can get one off next time.

Ask a Question