Who Loves Lavender?

Reaction score
I love lavendar! Not only is it beautiful (and my favorite color too) but it's calming smell is great. My 1 cat has anxiety so bad that I have to use the essential oil on him prior to leaving the house for an extended period of time or else come home to a mess. I've never experimented in making my own though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
I took lavender tip cuttings on Friday 100 and growing them on for the walled garden I am involved as a volunteer.

Reaction score
I would love to have long rows of lavender planted, mainly surrounding the property. I love the look and the smell of it and do grow six to 10 plants each year although I can't seem to get them all to come back the following spring. It really does make a stunning display when planted in large groups and looks even better with other plants nearby for contrast.

Reaction score
I love lavender, too. I love how it smells. I love how it looks. I have grown lavender in the past. It's so gorgeous. The breeze carries the lavender smell throughout the neighborhood. I would love to grow a whole field of lavender, too.

Reaction score
I absolutely love lavender. Last summer I tried lavender ice cream and it was delicious! I know there's been a craze on cooking with lavender lately... I see lavender tea, syrup, and cupcake recipes, so maybe I'll try to make those. In any case, they make the garden smell heavenly!
lavender_350x250_8203.jpg

Reaction score
I never really thought of lavendar as a food Grace. I'm not sure why LOL Those cupcakes you posted are really awesome! 2 of my favorite things: lavendar and cupcakes - you can't go wrong LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love lavender smell but I have never tried growing them. The scent gives me a relaxing feeling and smell so good in my body lotion. In fact, they smell good in candles, and everything else too. I am always drawn to this scent.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I feel really sad looking back at this thread and seeing my mention of our huge lavender bush, because it died about a year after I wrote that and I really don't know what went wrong. I keep meaning to buy another lavender plant but I'd have to keep it in a pot as we're hoping to move in the not-too-distant future and I'd hate to just get it established and then have to leave it behind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love lavender at can get it to grow well for a year or two but then I have to replace plants. Very puzzling.
I feel really sad looking back at this thread and seeing my mention of our huge lavender bush, because it died about a year after I wrote that and I really don't know what went wrong. I keep meaning to buy another lavender plant but I'd have to keep it in a pot as we're hoping to move in the not-too-distant future and I'd hate to just get it established and then have to leave it behind.

Lavender needs regular watering, you can't ever let it dry out too much, especially if you in a place that gets hot. You really have to keep an eye on it as one day it will be beautiful and the next all gray and sad. It also needs an end of season pruning to stimulate new growth, but you can't cut too much. Care has to be taken when growing lavender in full sun, especially at the hottest parts of the day. My plants are a little over two years old now, and it's a delicate balance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Lavender needs regular watering, you can't ever let it dry out too much, especially if you in a place that gets hot. You really have to keep an eye on it as one day it will be beautiful and the next all gray and sad. It also needs an end of season pruning to stimulate new growth, but you can't cut too much. Care has to be taken when growing lavender in full sun, especially at the hottest parts of the day. My plants are a little over two years old now, and it's a delicate balance.

Thanks Chanell. Maybe we didn't get enough rain at that time. Our garden only gets watered once a week, but it thrived under those conditions for several years. Then suddenly one side started dying off, so that side was pruned, but the die-back spread until we lost the whole thing.

I don't think our garden service knows how to look after plants too well. All they're interested in is mowing and cleaning the garden and they don't stay a minute longer than they have to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks Chanell. Maybe we didn't get enough rain at that time. Our garden only gets watered once a week, but it thrived under those conditions for several years. Then suddenly one side started dying off, so that side was pruned, but the die-back spread until we lost the whole thing.

I don't think our garden service knows how to look after plants too well. All they're interested in is mowing and cleaning the garden and they don't stay a minute longer than they have to.

Those kinds of people are not landscapers so they are not the best ones to look after your garden. It's possible your lavender had some kind of plant disease or was attacked underground by some sort of pest. Both my plants are growing in large-ish flower pots, and I move them in cold weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Those kinds of people are not landscapers so they are not the best ones to look after your garden. It's possible your lavender had some kind of plant disease or was attacked underground by some sort of pest. Both my plants are growing in large-ish flower pots, and I move them in cold weather.

No, they're certainly not landscapers. We only ever hired them to do garden maintenance, but they're not the best. Thankfully when I needed them to dig up a small tree in the garden that I wanted to turn into a bonsai recently, they managed to do it without killing it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
No, they're certainly not landscapers. We only ever hired them to do garden maintenance, but they're not the best. Thankfully when I needed them to dig up a small tree in the garden that I wanted to turn into a bonsai recently, they managed to do it without killing it.

At least they are good for something :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love lavender. It's my favorite scented plant. They're a pain to care for since they need the right conditions to grow, but when they do it's an absolute joy. I used to make bundles of dried lavender and hang them around my apartment or used them to scent my bathwater.

Ask a Question