Who Loves Lavender?

Reaction score
This is my favorite plant . I just moved so I started out with 2 new plants and one is already producing flowers :) They are recommended to attract bees so I don't harvest too many flowers for cooking and sachets. I wish I could grow enough to make my own essential oil because I use it every day!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Me! I planted seeds last year and only a few of my babies survived, but now that they are almost mature enough to flower I can not wait! The last time I had lavender it didn't survive the heat. The plants I have now spend a lot of time in the shade or in indirect sun. Also looking forward to propagating them and making more plants!

If you have the space, keep multiplying plants (think tower planting) and you will have enough to make oil :)

Reaction score
I would have to agree about the bees. I have a lavender bush in my garden. It is not even flowering at them moment but the bees are still buzzing around it. Weird I know!

To be honest, I don't actually use lavender all that often. Occasionally in my bath yes. I suppose I should make some muslin bags and put it in our drawers and cupboards to freshen it up.

How do you use it in cooking? I can only think to make a lavender creme brulee, otherwise you have left me stump. Please would you mind enlightening a rather clueless young lady? Thank you

Reaction score
Chanell you are a treat! Yes I will try to cram a few more plants in next year. I did a little research and there are a few different species I only have flowers on one so I'm still experimenting on which will be more fragrant.

ColdHands the flowers are edible. Lavender was a medieval condiment so you could have your next hot dog like Anne Boleyn! (maybe not).

You have to go easy, too much can ruin a dish and fresh is best. I use it on cookies and for anything I make with mixed herbs, like chicken or fish. Lavender is a member of the mint family so you can substitute it and pretty up your drinks and deserts!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love lavender mostly because of its color...it's more than gorgeous, sometimes I dream about turning my garden into a lavender field:D . It would be heavenly:

lavender_medium-560x243.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the scent though. I'd much rather look at lavender than smell it or eat it.

480830_661130143903814_288376813_n.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
To be honest, I don't actually use lavender all that often. Occasionally in my bath yes. I suppose I should make some muslin bags and put it in our drawers and cupboards to freshen it up.

How do you use it in cooking?

You have to go easy, too much can ruin a dish and fresh is best. I use it on cookies and for anything I make with mixed herbs, like chicken or fish. Lavender is a member of the mint family so you can substitute it and pretty up your drinks and deserts!

I use it to keep moths and other pests out of my stored winter clothing. You can put it in the dryer near the end of a cycle to scent your bed sheets to help you relax and get to sleep.

I thought I had some lavender recipes pinned, but I can't seem to find them.

Reaction score
Oh! I will try some in the dryer to. I use the essential oil in a mild solution to relieve itching.

Reaction score
I love lavender! I have a big plant beside the foot of the stairs to the front door, and when I come home from work the scent just engulfs me. I picked up a second one this year, but I don't like where I put it, so it's going to get moved to another location this weekend. It's still pretty small, so I'm hoping it won't mind too much. The other one is getting so huge, that I'm going to be moving a number of plants from that bed to different beds because they are getting bowled over.

I've been using lavender oil spray to keep down the spider population in the basement - it is supposed to repel them.

Channel, I've never thought of putting any in my drier. I'm definitely going to do that the next time I wash the bedding!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I use it to keep moths and other pests out of my stored winter clothing. You can put it in the dryer near the end of a cycle to scent your bed sheets to help you relax and get to sleep.

I thought I had some lavender recipes pinned, but I can't seem to find them.

What a wonderful idea, using lavender in the dryer on the bedding. It makes perfect sense because lavender does relax us. The scent is wonderful and I wish I could grow lavender but I am so limited.. Maybe one of these days, I will have a backyard with all my favorites:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
:rolleyes: They say the scent attracts women like pheromones. I gave some to my brother and he says it doesn't work.

Well, it definitely wouldn't attract me:p . The scent is too strong and not sweet enough. I also heard that the cinnamon scent attracts women like pheromones...it's not true either.
If your brother is trying to woo a girl, he should give her a lovely lavender bouquet:D :

10petitewedbouquet.jpg

Reaction score
That's a lovely picture Claudine. With my brother's personality, he will have to throw in the pearls!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
We planted a tiny lavender bush in our garden about three years ago and it's now huge. I can't believe how quickly it grows. I keep meaning to try to propagate some more from cuttings but I never seem to find the time.

So far it's just been an ornament in our garden. It's really time we started using it.

I've never tried cooking with lavender, but we bought some lavender fudge once. Sadly it was at an expo and the seller was from out of town, so I've never seen it again. One day I'll have to try making some myself.

Reaction score
I've never tried cooking with lavender, but we bought some lavender fudge once. Sadly it was at an expo and the seller was from out of town, so I've never seen it again. One day I'll have to try making some myself.

Lavender fudge sounds interesting. I'm a bit hesitant to cook with lavender, since I've never actually tasted anything with lavender in. I just love the plant because it is beautiful and smells divine! :) But maybe one day I'll get brave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Lavender fudge sounds interesting. I'm a bit hesitant to cook with lavender, since I've never actually tasted anything with lavender in. I just love the plant because it is beautiful and smells divine! :) But maybe one day I'll get brave

I think the important thing when cooking with something you've never used before is to find a recipe so that you know that you're not overdoing it. I'm sure if you search online you'll find plenty of recipes that use lavender.

Ask a Question