Who is this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought I was familiar with just about every insect in Texas but this guy has me stumped. When I first spied him I went to get the camera and he flew off before I could get more than 2 pictures. His size I would estimate to be a little over 2 1/2 inches long. I didn't see him do anything to my tomato plant but that proboscis could do some damage to either a caterpillar or a plants stem. I am fairly sure he is a beneficial but I would appreciate any help in identifying him.
001.JPG
002.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am sure you are correct. We have a few varieties of robber flies here in Texas but none of them that I have seen are as "heavy duty" as this guy. When he flew off he went straight up for about 20 feet and headed east at a fast clip. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are fast for sure. We have a smaller version here, that grabs gnats out of the air.
This guy could have grabbed a hummingbird. There is a common variety here that eats mosquitoes in mid air and another that only eats wasps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Giant Green-eyed Robber Fly (Microstylum morosum) is an amazing species.
It is the largest Robber Fly (Asilidae) in North America, and among the largest Flies (Diptera) overall.
It is found in Arizona, Arkansas, Kansas, southwestern Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and parts of Mexico as well.
It's diet is as remarkable as its size. There are photos online of it eating large Cicadas (Cicadoidea, Hemiptera), Grasshoppers (Orthoptera), and Dragonflies (Odonata).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alba

Latest Threads