Whitefly infestation help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Wondering what's the best treatment for whitefly control. I have purchased ladybugs but they didn't even eat them. I sprayed the whiteflys hard with a hose but they just come back. What should I do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Either Neem or Spinosad every 4 days will soon get them gone. Just make sure you spray underneath the leaves. Actually using neem on day one and spinosad on day 2 is the best approach. The neem will also kill the eggs but spinosad is a better contact killer. You will need at least 3 applications to make sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can I mix both neem and spinosad in the same spray?
You can but in this circumstance it is not the best thing to do. The neem is for the eggs, not the flys themselves. As soon as you start to spray the underside of the leaves for eggs the whitefly will swarm up and away for a short time. It would be a waste of spinosad. When you start to spray the spinosad start spraying before you touch the plant. This will force the flies to fly up through the spray. You will save quite of bit of both by doing it this way. Just make sure that your sprayer has a fine wide mist. In any case spray the underside of the leaves with spinosad too.
How did you get whitefly? They are mainly a greenhouse problem. I guess you probably brought them home from the nursery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Miami is basically a greenhouse. We have a lot of whiteflies here. The whiteflies are on my older pomegranate tree, but I just saw some on my new avocado tree. I'm worried it's spreading.

I'll do what you said.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Miami is basically a greenhouse. We have a lot of whiteflies here. The whiteflies are on my older pomegranate tree, but I just saw some on my new avocado tree. I'm worried it's spreading.

I'll do what you said.
Better invest in a GOOD pump up sprayer if you are going to be spraying shrubs and trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Better invest in a GOOD pump up sprayer if you are going to be spraying shrubs and trees.

That's so creepy! My small handheld sprayer just stopped working after I was 3 quarters done spraying my tree. It's like you can feel what's happening to me.

I'm going to have to get a good sprayer now.

Also, I ran out of neem and spinosad. I ordered more neem, but I didn't get more spinosad. It was about $20 for the concentrated one. I can't possibly spend that much. I purchased chayanne pepper, and garlic powder from my grocery store instead. I hope that'll be ok.

Ask a Question