Whiteflies on herbs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Okay, I'm pretty sure these guys arrived here on what they called an "Aristotle Basil" plant. Beautiful bushy and aromatic basil, but the bugs...

The basil has been gone for several months now, probably because I potted it together with eucalyptus. But now, both the eucalyptus, and especially the rosemary, are infested with the bugs.

I kept them inside over the winter, but have just moved them outside with the hopes that the bugs would fly off to better pastures. They seem to be sticking to the rosemary. Will those bugs move on into my garden?

I appreciate any and all thoughts and advice.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You can use cellotape to stick them to death or use a powerful water jet to spray them off. Some people suggest washing liquid with a bit of garlic and oil to spray the plants. Have a look on youtube and try to stick to organic solutions. Hope it helps. Some people suggest neem oil and caster soap..

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Maggie M.
Now that the plants are outside they will disappear. Apart from the basil their hardy plants.I wouldn't have had them indoors. It might help to give them a blast from a hose pipe to rince them off. But be careful not to damage the plants.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Some companies actually promote a yellow sticker stuck on a square label to make sure the baby bugs don't go far and create more damage.

so

stick.jpg
images.jpg

images.jpg

aphid.jpg

images.jpg

I have tried the lady birds in my lean-to. No, aphids still a-plenty and so are ladybird babies. They have other ideas!:eek::D

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Alp, those sticky aphid traps are only for inside.If that's what you mean.
It's best to use ladybirds when you've only got a few ahpids, I've tried a lot of things, the best way is to use a systematic spray. I've used it for the chillies inside. But it's still best to do it as soon as you see the first few, that way you can stop it before it gets too bad and you don't have to keep using it. If you're worried about it, don't put them out for a while. Depends on what it says on container.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So, I ended up putting it outside and noticed a few wasps flying around it later. By the end of summer, the flies were gone. Brought it back inside last fall and kept it in a south window all winter, watering it pretty frequently even with one of those glass watering bulbs in it. By late winter, it was looking rather sad with lots of little leaves fallen to the floor around it.

Brought it out this past spring to a semi-shaded location. I give it a good sprinkling and thorough watering frequently, and it's really doing great! In fact, I've been taking culinary cuttings from it again and am shaping it as I do.

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone!

Ask a Question