Whiteflies in soil - haven't planted yet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have several raised beds and this weekend while turning over the soil in preparation for planting, I found I have white flies already. I've not even planted anything yet. How is this possible and how can I get rid of them before planting. I do not wish to battle these pests all season if I can knock them out now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What sounds like is happening is that the garden was previously infested with them, they laid their eggs and now they are hatching out. What you can do is spray the soil with either insecticidal soap or spinosad every three days until they disappear. This is unusual for whiteflies to reproduce when there is no food for them to eat. Dig around in the soil and see if you can see any larvae. If they are found the only way I know of to get rid of them is to drench the soil with spinosad or to apply beneficial nematodes.
https://www.colourbox.com/image/white-fly-larvae-in-the-soil-macro-image-19229951

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I didn't have them last year, they must have come in the garden soil I added last week. Since I won't be planting for several weeks yet, any chance they will go away on their own with nothing to eat? So far I've only planted broccoli and they don't seem to be in that bed (yet). Of course I'll be keeping a close eye.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If they are the same as what I've had in the past, they just love fresh turned over soil and show up right away after your done, planted yet or not..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't have them last year, they must have come in the garden soil I added last week. Since I won't be planting for several weeks yet, any chance they will go away on their own with nothing to eat? So far I've only planted broccoli and they don't seem to be in that bed (yet). Of course I'll be keeping a close eye.
Several weeks without food? They should be gone in a few days. But after you don't see any turn over the soil a little to make sure all of the eggs have hatched.

Ask a Question