White Spots on Herbs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
I just wanted to get some clarification as to what is affecting my herbs. I have some herbs on my balcony and they get a decent amount of sunlight everyday. I recently put in some all purpose plant spikes (4-4-4) into each pot. Recently, I saw a few leaves of my various herbs (mint and basil) develop some white spots on the leaves. I water the herbs probably 2-3 times a week. I have attached a mint leaves with the problem I am referring to. I just want to know if this is something harmful for the plant and whether or not they are safe for consumption. Also, is there something to do to prevent this in the future? I apologize that the photo is not the best quality, but I was using my cell phone camera.

Attachments

• 20160512_200105.jpg
    20160512_200105.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 490
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

Looks like it might possibly be insect damage - have you seen any insects on the plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see white spots on the tips of my basil plants with large insect holes on many portions of the leaves. I would check for insects! If you have two plants close together- one may have an insect and the other one is showing the symptoms. Prune the plant and spray with organic pesticide (pay attention to any root growth and ensure it is being watered properly).
Also- maybe move the plant away from the area of your garden/patio so any outside factors can be eliminated.

Good Luck!

Ask a Question