White spots on basil leaves (Blue spice)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, just if anyone has any ideas as to what this is. Does not look like mildew, any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 15920771043077852037309395003011.jpg
    15920771043077852037309395003011.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 1,418
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, just if anyone has any ideas as to what this is. Does not look like mildew, any help is appreciated.
Is there ANYTHING on the other side of the leaf? Are the white spots tiny bumps or are they little tiny holes that don't go all the way through? Does it come off when rubbed?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there ANYTHING on the other side of the leaf? Are the white spots tiny bumps or are they little tiny holes that don't go all the way through? Does it come off when rubbed?
There's nothing on the other side of the leaves. They are not bumps, looks like it's holes but don't go all the way through. It does not come off, I tried as hard as I could without damaging the leaf but not coming off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There's nothing on the other side of the leaves. They are not bumps, looks like it's holes but don't go all the way through. It does not come off, I tried as hard as I could without damaging the leaf but not coming off.
That is old damage, probably from a beetle. New growth isn't damaged but as a preventative spray with Spinosad Soap. It is totally organic and harmless to people and pets. It is very effective on just about all insects and it also kills caterpillars.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is old damage, probably from a beetle. New growth isn't damaged but as a preventative spray with Spinosad Soap. It is totally organic and harmless to people and pets. It is very effective on just about all insects and it also kills caterpillars.
Thank you. My sweet basil on the same pot were attached by something that was eating the leaves. Every morning I would wake up and more and more leaves were eaten. This morning I decided to check under the leaves because it looked like caterpillar damage. Lo and behold what looked like a silk worm was hiding under a perfectly undamaged leaf. I will try spraying if I see the damage continue. I live in South Florida so we got all kinds of pests. Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you. My sweet basil on the same pot were attached by something that was eating the leaves. Every morning I would wake up and more and more leaves were eaten. This morning I decided to check under the leaves because it looked like caterpillar damage. Lo and behold what looked like a silk worm was hiding under a perfectly undamaged leaf. I will try spraying if I see the damage continue. I live in South Florida so we got all kinds of pests. Thank you
If that caterpillar was green it is called a looper. They will multiply quickly. Use either Spinosad Soap or Bt (Bacillus thuringensis)

Reaction score
Country
United States
If that caterpillar was green it is called a looper. They will multiply quickly. Use either Spinosad Soap or Bt (Bacillus thuringensis)
Thanks, a regret that I didn't take a pic, just smashed it. It was black with stripes on the sides. Thanks for the tips

Reaction score
Country
United States
Stripes on the sides? Google armyworm images and see if you recognize him. If so, then spray ASAP
Looks like an Armyworm. I'm sure I have moths flying around at night so not much I can do about that one but manually remove them. Thank you for all the info.

Ask a Question