While the husband is away the wife will play... in the garden, of course!

Reaction score
DH and DD will be gone all day, and so I guess DS and I will suit ourselves for food! And there is nothing fresher than garden produce... I went outside and I found 5 small cucumbers, 4 ripe tomatos, 3 pods of okra, 2 miniature ears of corn, and a meals worth of green beans! :)

I just love grocery shopping outside.:cool:

I am tempted to just eat vegetables tonight, but I suppose that DS will insist on having some meat: perhaps a hamburger patty? And for the sake of prudence I expect to have one as well, but mostly I am going to pig out on produce! Especially since yesterday I cut up a locally-grown melon that I had bought in a store, and we still have quite a bit left..

So, the melon and the corn are chilling, the green beans are simmering, and it should be a WONDERFUL meal! The best thing about summertime meals is that they are as much fun to make as they are to eat!:p

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good isn't it, we're eating most of our meals from the garden now too, Rainbow Chard, Marrows, Beans, Onions etc.

Tomatoes are just starting to crop too.

DSCF0017.JPG

Reaction score

My garden timing is seriously messed up this year. The zucchini's are done, and I think the cucumbers are too, but I haven't had a single ripe tomato yet (okay, I lie, I've had 6 cherry tomatoes from my under-achieving topsy turvy tomato plant!). I'm a bit afraid that all the tomatoes are going to ripen on one day.....:eek:
My carrots didn't feel like growing this year, I've put in four plantings since spring, and haven't a single carrot yet. I'm going to make pickles this weekend, and had to buy dill because mine decided not to grow. :confused:
But my several mint plants are going crazy, so at least I'll never be short on mojitos! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Kansas Terri, this sounds so yummy, you made me hungry:D
Zigs, the tomatoes look delicious!
As a die-hard vegetarian, I'm very happy that I can grow so many vegetables in my garden, it's very convenient :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not tried them yet, as Willow brought a packet home that needed using up first.

Hate it when vegetarians have to die hard, you'd think Karma would give them a break

I'm a fishy vegetarian, don't eat land animals.

Reaction score
I wish that spring greens came in a variety of flavors the way the summertime vegetables do.

A tomato does not taste even REMOTELY like an onion or a green bean, but spring greens like cabbage taste a little bit like lettuce greens, beet greens, sweet potato greens, and so forth! What I WANT is greens that come in a variety of flavors!

Yes, I know that herbs grow in the spring and come in many different flavors, but when was the last time you sat down to a nice bowlful of fresh oregano?

Summer is a very special time in the vegetable garden, but in the spring all of the vegetables taste alike!

Reaction score
I wish that spring greens came in a variety of flavors the way the summertime vegetables do.

A tomato does not taste even REMOTELY like an onion or a green bean, but spring greens like cabbage taste a little bit like lettuce greens, beet greens, sweet potato greens, and so forth! What I WANT is greens that come in a variety of flavors!

Yes, I know that herbs grow in the spring and come in many different flavors, but when was the last time you sat down to a nice bowlful of fresh oregano?

Summer is a very special time in the vegetable garden, but in the spring all of the vegetables taste alike!
I disagree - it's all in the presentation. For example: spinach, mixed with feta, fried onions, and egg and baked in a phillo pastry shell, taste nothing like lettuce. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hate it when vegetarians have to die hard, you'd think Karma would give them a break

Lol, Karma should spoil us since we are so good to animals:p

Personally, I don't eat anything that has/had eyes. So no fish for me. I can't stand the taste of fish anyway. Fruits and vegetables are so much better:)

Reaction score
DH and DD will be gone all day, and so I guess DS and I will suit ourselves for food! And there is nothing fresher than garden produce... I went outside and I found 5 small cucumbers, 4 ripe tomatos, 3 pods of okra, 2 miniature ears of corn, and a meals worth of green beans! :)

I am tempted to just eat vegetables tonight, but I suppose that DS will insist on having some meat: perhaps a hamburger patty? And for the sake of prudence I expect to have one as well, but mostly I am going to pig out on produce! Especially since yesterday I cut up a locally-grown melon that I had bought in a store, and we still have quite a bit left..

So, the melon and the corn are chilling, the green beans are simmering, and it should be a WONDERFUL meal! The best thing about summertime meals is that they are as much fun to make as they are to eat!:p

I do love those all fresh vegetable meals! That watermelon sounds quite delicious for dessert as well! It is so nice to sit down and relax with a meal from your own garden. I like the grocery shopping outside tag! :D

Reaction score
Alas, the melon was bought.

The problem with grocery shopping outside is the other shoppers such as raccoons. They live at a creek on my neighbor's land, and every evening the Mother 'coons take their babies out shopping and foraging in everybody's back yard! So far the "other shoppers" have eaten every melon in the garden before it has gotten ripe!

They know what is good. So far this year they have not tipped over any of my garbage cans, but that just means they like my melons better than garbage! I think that most people would agree with them on that.

Reaction score
Alas, the melon was bought.

The problem with grocery shopping outside is the other shoppers such as raccoons. They live at a creek on my neighbor's land, and every evening the Mother 'coons take their babies out shopping and foraging in everybody's back yard! So far the "other shoppers" have eaten every melon in the garden before it has gotten ripe!

They know what is good. So far this year they have not tipped over any of my garbage cans, but that just means they like my melons better than garbage! I think that most people would agree with them on that.

We had a problem with squirrels last year. They raided the corn. I did not believe my husband until I saw the proof for myself. They had torn the silk away from the stalk along with the corn and there was a trail of silk up the tree they climbed into with the corn. The little buggars tore our corn stalks to pieces getting them some dinner. They also messed with our melons. I had no idea that squirrels would do this. In the past I have had turtles eat our tomatoes. They would just take a bite and then go on to the next tomato. That was frustrating. I mean if you are going to eat a meal go ahead and eat the first one you nibbled on instead of making it a buffet and ruining every tomato within reach!

Reaction score
Oh, wow! I have NEVER seen a squirrel act like that!

I once heard of somebody that would make a small pile of corn on the edge of the garden as a bribe to keep the animals off of their vegetables, but it is possible that the squirrels would rather eat the melons and the juicy corn instead of the dried corn!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is surprising. The squirrels must have been really hungry:eek: I had absolutely no idea that they eat melons, I would never guess that they may like fruits. I've always thought that they prefer nuts and seeds.

Ask a Question