Which yellow onion?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Some trusted (and tested) friends recently came to stay with us and hunker down and do a little fishing. They brought some supplies which included a bag of yellow onions. Now, it has been awhile since we bought any outside onions instead using home grown garden varieties ...and I must admit I was somewhat shocked at what I saw being marketed as a "yellow onion". See attached.

imported onions.JPG
My yellow onions in the garden still have another 4 weeks or so of growing...and the last 4 weeks are when the bulb growth is most pronounced. Just for fun I did a side by side by side comparison of what the stores market as yellow onions today vs what is growing in my garden right now with 4 weeks of growth in the bulb yet to go.

Which yellow onion?

onion comparison 2020.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Wow! What’s the secret to growing big onions like yours? The few I did look like the store bought version. It was my first time growing them so I was happy to have them bulb. A couple still in garden, but the rest of mine the stalks flopped over so they were done. I did yellow granex.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Secret? No secret, just good soil replenished constantly by cover crops and protected by rotations. Seriously, its just a matter of building that soil with what Nature provides.

The yellow granex is, as I understand, a variety that was developed in Carrizo Springs, Texas by basically crossing the 1015 and the Bermuda to make a deep, flat onion. Those I grow are the regular 1015 yellow onion. The ones my friends brought were just called yellow onions. Thanks.

Ask a Question