Which trees do you grow from cuttings?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
It requires a long period of time to plant trees from cuttings before one realizes their first yield. In most cases it takes up to a year or more. The challenge is how to root cuttings since some plant roots don't root naturally. Some people have found a way of going around this by using the layering technique. Some people have found a way round this problem by using rooting hormones. Which product do you use or would you advise a gardener to purchase as a rooting enhancer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It requires a long period of time to plant trees from cuttings before one realizes their first yield. In most cases it takes up to a year or more. The challenge is how to root cuttings since some plant roots don't root naturally. Some people have found a way of going around this by using the layering technique. Some people have found a way round this problem by using rooting hormones. Which product do you use or would you advise a gardener to purchase as a rooting enhancer?

I don't like to use rooting hormones except on hardwood cuttings. I've found that for me, rooting hormones increased success rate, but, slowed down root growth. It slowed it down enough that I don't like to use it. However, I use it on anything that fails with the plain water technique, or a tree known to be difficult to root such as certain rose bushes.

I love cloning. I have about 20-30 now.

Several rose varieties, grapes, lemons, limes, oranges, pothos, plum, and apple.

Also, I've cloned many peppers and tomatoes. Water definitely does a better job for me there as well (except more tend to die with the water method, or are damaged, but not severely). The problem I have found with the water technique is bacteria seems to love kicking back. That could be something I am doing wrong, though. Regardless, all of the methods have worked well for me :p

Logan L. Johnson

Caldwell Home & Garden
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
NC Zone 7A
Country
United States
Rooting hormone is unnecessary in most cases. Different woody plants have different methods of propagation. For instance, cornus kousa is best propagated by seed and lagerstomeia indica is best propagated by cuttings.

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
i started a project of rooting mulberry and figs cuts am in the 4th week now. the project is to try the 3 ways.
1: cut from both mulberry and figs directly into the soil, i took two cuts of mulberry and 2 cuts off figs, all seems not to have any sort of life yet and i dont know if any root showed up.
2: 2 cuts of mulburry and 2 cuts of figs directly on water and also no signe of live on any.
3: 2 cuts of mulburry and 2 cuts of figs in a plastic bag with wet napkin and a little bit of water, no signe of any roots but all the cuts seems to start having some leaves starting to show up.

Ask a Question